Chapter 43

Created 04/27/2020

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

"So, what's this meeting about?" I asked once our food was placed in front of us.

"Ah... well. It's complicated really." Jake muttered, scratching the back of his neck, "Actually, it's gonna be at the café."

I gasped dramatically, "And what do I owe this pleasure? Is it a date?"

"It is definitely not a date." He said in a serious tone, "It's more of a... consultation."

I took a bite of my food as I watched him fidget, "If it's just a consultation, why is it making you so nervous?"

"Because it's... I don't know how to explain it. Hell, I'm not even sure why I'm doing this."

"Dude, you're kind of freaking me out..."

"I'm freaked out!"

His outburst caused the kids to look over at us from their table.

"You good, Jake?" Cadence asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah... just tired."

They were skeptical but turned away regardless.

"Why don't you just tell me what happened?" I pressed.

"Because this isn't the kind of thing you just talk about casually and especially not where anyone could hear us." At this point, he was looking around nervously.

"Are you sure you should be doing this if it's making you act this way?"

He thought about it for a moment before letting out a shaky breath, "Honestly, I feel like I need to talk to this person. Like... I'm the only one that can do whatever it is they need."

"And what is it that they need?" He my interested was fully peaked at this point.

"It's kind of confidential. I just really needed to get the nervousness off my chest."

I rubbed the back of my neck, "I don't know, man. I mean, if you think you need to, I won't bust your balls about it, but it's okay if you don't want to either. Of course, I'll be nearby since it's at the café, so don't hesitate to signal me if you need interference."

Jake laughed, "And what would that signal be?"

"Something like help me, oh wise one! Or something like that."

"How about I knock something onto the ground instead? Spare you the inflated ego, ya know?"

"Ego spared, but what about the extra labor of cleaning up whatever you drop?"

"I'll clean up whatever it is. All you have to do is see it."

I rested my weight against the back of my seat and sighed heavily, "I suppose that'll do. Just don't make too big of a mess."

"Thanks, man. Being around you will definitely help."

I nodded in response before returning my focus to my food, now equally nervous about what as to come.

.

.

After eating and dropping the kids off, Jake took me back to Amy's- well, Ain's apartment so I could get my car.

By noon, Jake and I were both at the café. I was filling guest orders and he was nervously waiting on the couch.

It was half past twelve when the door swung open and in walked a girl. She was relatively tall, about five-foot-nine, with curly hair pinned behind her ears. Her brown eyes seemed to shoot around the room as if she didn't trust anyone there. When she noticed Jake, a determined look settled on her face and she walked to him with unmatched confidence.