Chapter 40

Written 03/19/2020

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

Tilisia and Jessica were in a very intense stare down and quiet words were passing between them. When they noticed Ain and I watching, Jessica turned and smiled while Tilisia glared directly at Ain.

They went their separate ways after another few words were spoken, Tilisia to Amy and Jessica to Ain.

As she got closer, Ain put on a straight face, "Don't say a word about what I told you." He whispered. I tried to walk off, but he nudged me, "Don't leave either!"

I groaned but stayed where I was.

"Is everything alright, baby?" I inwardly cringed at her term of endearment.

"I could ask you the same thing. What were you and Lis talking about?"

"Oh, just girl stuff. Nothing you'd be interested in." She brushed it off with a giggle, flipping her blonde hair over her shoulder. She turned to me with a smile similar to the one she flashed when we first met, "Carter Akino, right? Tilisia's dad?"

"Yeah. I do recall we met a few years back under different terms." I shook her hand once before letting it go.

"Oh my gosh, I can't believe you still remember that." She was being way too much, but I kept that thought to myself, "I'm just so happy we could all move passed that and be friends. I just adore hanging out with Tilisia at school. She's so precious."

Precious? What was that supposed to mean? Isn't that what you call ugly babies?

"Yes, well thank you. And congratulations on your relationship with Ain. He's a great kid." He elbowed my side.

"Thanks so much. He's so handsome and sweet. I was so surprised when he asked me out!" She latched on to his arm and pulled him closer to her, "Would you mind if I actually borrowed him for a moment? I need to tell him something private."

Before I could answer, she dragged him into the room and shut the door behind them, making me nervous. To get my mind off of it, I walked to where Amy and Tilisia were talking and waved silently. Tilisia didn't acknowledge my presence, but Amy did.

She wrapped her arms around me and pulled me into a tight hug, "I can't believe this is really happening." She said when she pulled away, "I'm going to miss you guys so much."

"You'll be alright." I reassured, "We'll miss you too, but you're going to do great. I can't believe they want you there a week early. Our time together has really been cut short."

"I know, right? I'm thankful though. My new personal assistant says that my apartment looks great and there's only a few things that still need to be delivered."

"Oooh. Personal assistant. How fancy." I teased.

"Shut up." She shoved my shoulder, "Besides, Samantha is great. She's kept me up to date with literally everything."

"Hey, Tilisia! Come here!" We all turned around to see Cadence waving Tilisia over. She sighed and sauntered over to her.

I turned back to Amy and shrugged, "Go on?"

"Oh, right. Samantha is awesome. She's going to probably give you a run for your money on texting me all day everyday though."

"As if. I'm the most annoying person there is. You can't beat me!" We both laughed before keeping a steady conversation about her new position.

At a point, Jake showed up and joined the conversation and things felt like they were before we started leading our own lives.

When we noticed the bedroom door open up to the two teens that disappeared, our topic switched, "So... Ain and Jessica..." She said slowly.