Chivington's Massacre

I run as fast as my short legs could possibly carry me. For my height I could run unbelievably fast. Jumping over large plants and stones, I finally make it to the forest. There is no way Dark Owl could catch me now. I see a dulled shaft fly by my left side and land in the dirt. Profanity spilled from Dark Owl as he missed. I laugh and made him even angrier. One more arrow and I would win this round. I sprinted faster and left him in the dust. The tribe has great pride in my quickness, and says that I can elude any obstacle. This brings me joy.

Finally, I could hear the last arrow leave the bow, and I turn on the ball of my foot. I then charge with my head down dead straight into Dark Owl.

Pleased with the turnout of the day, I bounce up to my father and begin to tell him my great news. My father's name is Black Kettle, and he is the chief of our tribe. Our tribe has a name too, it's called Sioux. Before I could speak, I stop in my tracks. There is a white man talking to my father! I shyly look up at the man and he waves. My father gestures at me to join him. I smile and stand tall next to father. After all, I am an offspring of one the greatest chiefs, and I think I should be proud. My father says the man's name is Mr. Winecoup. What an odd name. Mr. Winecoup is making some sort of deal with my father. He mentions Sand Creek. I know that name, I think it's a river.

The meeting is over and I ask my father a whole lot of questions. I wonder if he ever gets annoyed with me. He says that we'll be staying at Sand Creek for a few days! This will be really fun. Maybe Swift Lark and I could go swimming.

The Sioux tribe travels to Sand Creek where we will meet kind Mr. Winecoup once again. I get to stay in a teepee with all my brothers and sisters.

Days pass while we are here at the river. Tomorrow is the day he arrives! The night grows more frigid then usual, but father places another buffalo skin on me so I won't be too cold. It's hard to fall asleep, but I eventually do.

A dream wafts into my head of a very pretty lady. She wears pure white and has wings like a rare bird. She follows me through the forest and talks to me. She says something but I can't seem to hear. We continue to walk until we come upon a bloodstained and broken flag. I try to put it back together but it's useless. A soft crying starts to come from her. I ask the lady what is wrong and she won't respond. I get louder and louder, but so does she. She gets so loud that I have to cover my ears. Then, I wake up. To screaming. It sounded just like her so I try to fall back to sleep next to my siblings, but then I realize they aren't there. I sit up and look out the teepee.

I see my oldest brother, slumped against a tree, bleeding. My eyes widen and I let out a scream. I look around wildly and fall out of our teepee. I am confused. I thought the kind Mr. Winecoup said he wouldn't hurt us. He said he didn't believe in fighting.

White men with guns are everywhere. A another man stood on top of the bank. Staring with hatred. But why? What did we do? I see my father shooting arrows and hitting every time. He makes a distressed call to put up our flag. It is done, and I can finally move from my stance. I run behind a rock as I see a second flag go up. This one is what my mother used to call our neighbors' flag. The fighting continues. For the first time I am afraid. Very afraid. But the slightest courage bubbles up in me to peek over the rock. I look one white man in the eye with scorn and as their leader did to us.

He sees me. My first reaction was to fight, like what my older siblings taught me to do.

But a voice clothed my thoughts that said to flee. I trust my instincts, which my father taught me. My father is always right.

I took off like a scared deer. I ran and ran. I can run faster then anyone, even the white man. Victory was painted on my face. I look behind, and that is when I trip and twist my leg. I turn over and look up.

.

...right into a barrel of a gun.

I breathe and look into the face of my enemy. But all I see is pure white.