Rain

Rain

I stop walking when I remembered I didn't bring my umbrella. I thought it wouldn't rain cause the sky was so bright and sunny earlier.

Just my luck.

I open my bag thinking I might accidentally kept an emergency folded umbrella but of course, I didn't.

That never crossed my mind.

Looking at the sky, I watch as small drops of rain fall from it, then saw how those droplets fell towards the ground. I heard the soft pitter patter around me while feeling the cold breeze of the wind. I smiled to myself.

Well, it's just a little rain.

Might as well enjoy it.

Taking a step forward with my bag above my head, I waited for the rain to touch my skin and damp my shirt.

But it didn't happen.

I look around me and it's still raining, confuse I once again look up. There was a dark purple umbrella shielding me from the rain, protecting me.

The handle landed on my shoulder like someone placed it there and on reflex I grab it. I examined it, there's no patterns or prints just an ordinary dark purple folded umbrella. But suddenly I feel like there's something different about it.

There's a lingering presence when I touch it, something very familiar.

~Years Ago~

I washed the remaining dishes at the sink thinking of what's happening today. Looking at our backyard through the window of our kitchen, I saw little puddles were slowly being made as the rain descend from the heavens.

Finally raining season came.

I smiled loving the cold feeling embracing me since the moment I woke up this morning. Raining season always makes me relax and ease my mind on things, hoping for someone to cuddle with while enjoying a hot chocolate that I perfectly made.

If only that can happen.

I on-hold my train of thoughts when I finished drying up the last spoon. It'll be bad if I come late today since we're having an important activity and latecomers will not be allowed to participate.

I dried my hands with a towel before I wear my school shirt. When I turn around I saw my Mum stood in front of me to fix my tie and my sleeves.

"It's still early, Mum. You should be still asleep na. Ter can take care of myself kab." I said full of concern of her well-being.

Mum did a overtime work yesterday and she only came home around 3 am this morning. I did my best to keep quiet so I won't wake her up while preparing myself for school.

"Aww can't Mum see his son looking so handsome in his high school uniform?" She pout at me.

"Mum, I've been wearing it for 2 years now, kab. And I haven't really change that much." I held her hands squeezing it a little, smiling at her.

"Yes, handsome as ever." She pinch both of my cheeks earning a pout from me. She's the reason why my cheeks are getting chubby and round. She kept on pinching it every morning before I go to school, it became her daily morning routine.

I let her be until she's finally satisfied to let go of my poor bloated cheeks before kissing them.

"Be good today ok?" My pout only got bigger when she said those words.

"The way Mum said it like I'm some troubled kid. Aren't I always good?" She just laugh at my childish statement while brushing my hair a little with her fingers.