⋆ 3 ⋆

The aftermath of the chaos that happened a few days ago were barely making a dent into his present yet; he could even say he was doing quite good. In the present there was nothing as awful as the F and more of them that marked his paper and put his chest under a ice-spell where his heart beat felt like a dangerous element that could make it all shatter apart. And that was awful back then—last week, but presently it seemed super far away, indeed, nearly as far away as the time his little half-sister Viviane just quit living on Earth, from one day to another, and his older half-brother Clarence in their apartment.

For Adrian it was always like this; no matter how bad things got as long as they cleared away and made room for good things like the fruity treetops bouncing around their greens in the darkening jeans-blue sky—the sky both boys were walking under without another argument—the bad things seemed far away, locked up someone with a key that Adrian wasn't even aware existed, didn't know where it was, or who always turned it in the keyhole by random.

When the something did turn the keyhole from the door the keyhole was attached to usually gushed out with a heavy black-matter that dewed all over Adrian's body and clogged up his brain.

He remembered something like that happening way before the worst black-down, that's what he was going to call it, because he felt a long way down and it was always dark and uncertain. It happened when Clarence left.

On an unexpected Monday morning he was the first one up and already busy tossing all his stuff into black litter bag, threw the bags over his shoulder and took off. Mum's reaction to it was frantically dusting off the empty space in Clarence's closet, never mentioning him another time once he was gone for good.

In the next room Adrian was lying in his bed, kind of paralysed, unable to stand up so he could walk over to the window and watch after Clarence, maybe even call him back and convince him he did nothing wrong. The next day however it didn't even feel like Clarence was gone, or months later, years, Adrian was mostly fine.

The past was gone. Clarence was never his brother, Viviane never his sister, he was an only child all along in his mind. Those black-downs always managed to take a big chunk of memory away from him, and yet he couldn't complain because he was quite grateful he wasn't flooringly depressed about scenarios like these instead.

For a moment some thoughts built up in his head before the wind swept them away again like tumbleweeds on streets. He did worry about what was going on currently with school and all, and there was some guilt attached to him like an anchor, but he couldn't allow himself to notice that too much because attention gave it weight.

The air around him was humid but refreshingly cool when it blew against his faces, sweet in his lungs, comfortable as it dwelled up in his loose sleeves. This was something that lifted Adrian's mood and effortlessly took him away from former darker thoughts.

Next to him Hyde's fingers were going through his chestnut curls, massaging his scalp as if the four hour shift had put enormous stress into it. Since he'd taken off the visor his hair seemed even messier than before, there was no string holding it down and it was curving all directions with some hinted waves.

He probably didn't even worry that he was on his way to become a school dropout just like Adrian; every day he skipped was another cobble added to the cobble stone path towards his own failure.

But to Adrian it was almost like bliss knowing he had a whole while ahead of him without any school in sight. Yeah, he couldn't deny that there was always a little worry lurking about him, sitting there high up on his chest, but when he couldn't do much about the situation he figured it was best to ignore it which usually increased the worry into a sparky feeling and then that spark turned him into an energy ball.