⋆ 8 ⋆

As he was staring at the advertisements lining up under the long lights Adrian wondered—while absentmindedly reading over and over the slogan You look better in a hat!—he wondered not how he almost crashed but how he almost didn't; there must've been some kinda angel watching over him and sunken into his body to cut the engine before the inevitable.

            Truly, it was a miracle. And his life was somewhat full of them, like it was a miracle his mom hadn't caught up to the fact yet he was going out of the house every morning just to hang around Blum and Dale's Donuts even when Hyde was off his shift, and it was a miracle that he had kept his mouth shut about everything that happened even though it burned him to mention something.

            Hyde was breathing next to him, and glancing down from the advertisement onto the reflection of him in the window he looked like he was close to dozing off; every time he blinked his eyes would stay closed a little longer than was necessary then resume staying open with an increased lethargy darkening them.

            They were taking the slummy C train to High St Brooklyn Bridge at around 7pm, and once they got onto the platform the train departed alongside them as they crawled out of the station like a couple of rats, they hiked all the way to the park nearby.

            Before they were entirely out, Adrian cashed in a last glance behind their backs, but thankfully nobody was going after them with a knife, just another advertisement taped to a column reading Dye it dark today with a man splashing black tar or something onto one half of his face. That one kinda irked Adrian, because he was smiling with his mouth open while doing so. They need to think these through more properly, some people worry...

            Moving on, that feeling didn't last for long. Once they entered the park not too far from the station the sky which was stuffed with dim clouds made him feel at ease again, even if slightly groggy.

            It had just rained an hour ago, at home Adrian had watched the pour go down and bring in some colour to the buildings that stacked up before his window.

            The few trees here were lush and felt closer to the path than in winter, because now they were filled out with green. Opposed to the people in the middle of the city here in the park nobody was in a rush, everything was calm and the little chatter around them was friendly and nice.

            For a while there was silence between them until Hyde turned his head to him with a weary smile, his lids still heavy from the tiresome ride, and offered him his elbow. Adrian hooked himself into it, pretending he was falling sideways into him. Hyde just giggled drunkenly, stumbling out towards the grass before catching himself when Adrian stopped goofing.

            It would probably be dark soon in a couple of hours, which was just perfect, Adrian loved that time of the day where you could just do nothing without feeling guilty of being so unproductive. A slouch. Whatever.

            He enjoyed the scenery that the park gave them; birds singing in the background, sometimes quieting to allow a single bird to chirp five pointy tones, that worked before other birds couldn't hold themselves back any longer and joined in. Underneath their rubber soles which were still white, because they were still new from not having found the time to go out jogging until now, the tiny pebbles crunched.

            'I noticed the Honda was gone. Did you have some fun?' Hyde asked pleasantly.

            'A few.' He could make a list of all the fun he had, starting from getting refreshments from a anonymous boy over the fence and ending in making friends with a school counsellor. He didn't mention any of this to Hyde though.