nine

warning: this story will contain stalking, physical violence, and a character death.

The next few days are boring in a routine way. Priya and Harry continue to go to the resistance group, silently gathering more information on the specific plans for the embassy attacks and sending it back to HQ each night. Each day that goes by leaves Priya feeling more and more anxious. Harry is a happy distraction from the nagging feeling that something isn't right — that something is on the verge of exploding.

After their training session, she hasn't received any other messages. Since it's been over four days, she dares to feel cautiously optimistic that whoever was behind them has disappeared for good. After their fun in the shower that day, Priya watched Harry sleep, his cute little snores near her ear because he insisted on draping his arm around her waist. There was something about the way his eyelashes hit his skin and the way he was such a calming, protective presence in her life. She's not exactly sure what made her change her mind that night, but she decided that if she were to get another cryptic message, she'd tell him right away. He was right, after all they were partners and if it was him getting threatening messages, she'd be just as protective as he would be if he knew.

The messages could of course mean any number of things, but her gut told her it was someone taunting them, looking for a rise out of them — a distraction from the course they're set out on. She can taste how close they are to cracking this case, to finding Evans and ending this once and for all, and she's not going to let some anonymous loser derail her from all their hard work.

She just wanted this mission to be over with so she could relax. She missed her desk, her team, her regular life. While it might seem boring and too routine to anyone else, Priya reveled in knowing exactly what she had to do each day and sticking to it.

But then, there was the fact that after this mission was over, she could very well lose Harry, yet again.

While they started off this mission with not being able to stand next to each other, now Priya finds it hard to be far from Harry. When they're at the resistance group and he's across the room, she longs to be tucked against his side where she can be sure nothing will hurt either of them. The minutes are counted down meticulously to the one where they can be intertwined together again. This dodgy motel room has quickly become their safe haven.

After returning from their resistance group activities early one day, upon instruction from the man with the long camera (who was clearly second in command) the partners had stopped at a takeaway place and found themselves back in bed, wrapped in their blanket and each other.

Harry's propped up against the unreliable headboard, his nose resting in Priya's hair. She's leaned back against his chest, sitting between his legs. His hands travel up and down her thighs, over the swell of her hips, his fingers exploring every inch of her caramel skin — his new favorite hobby.

There's an old cop show flickering on the tiny telly but it's been ignored since they switched it on an hour ago.

"We could go out, you know," Harry mumbles into her hair, his arm wrapping around her neck and giving her a squeeze.