Chapter 6

"Riley! The door!" Elijah yells from the bathroom. He was supposed to go home two days ago yet he refuses to leave until my parents return.

Not that I'm complaining but I do miss my mom and dad. They said that they would be back today and its already 6 pm. Where the hell were they?

After that weirdo pregnancy dream, It's been kind of awkward on my part and I was desperate for a distraction. I couldn't help but think about it all the time! I was grateful for my amazing acting skills, or else I'd be a nervous wreck all the time.

"Who is it?" I yelled back up, never removing my eyes from the movie that was playing.

"No idea! I have toothpaste in my mouth so it's kinda hard to smell anything besides mint!" He yells back. I giggle behind my hand and get up.

Pulling the door open, I come face to...back of the head? Jet black hair is all I can see but judging from the height and body shape, I know exactly who it is. His grey eyes meet mine and widen in delight.

"RIYRIY!" He yells while throwing his arms around me. His small 5'4 frame rocks me in a bone-crushing hug before pulling away.

"Nicky!" I return warily "What are you doing here? And how did you find my address?." He gives me a bright smile and motions to his packed bag.

"Your parents are letting me stay here for a while!" He says excitedly.

"Wait what, why? I thought they were coming back today, why didn't you arrive with them?" I said, craning my neck to check for their car. His smile drops a little but he was quick to recover it.

"Here, take my stuff in, I'll explain in a little bit, in the meantime, do you have any food?" He says, sidestepping me and walking in. I pick up his bag and drop it off into the living room.

Nicky is my older cousin. He's 21 but is still considered the 'delayed' one in the family. Instead of him taking on an adult height, he's stuck in the body of a teenager which ultimately makes him stick out considering most Mer's were over 5'6.

Even though he's treated differently by just about everybody, I refuse to look at him any other kind of way. He's too much of a good person and deserves better.

"I'm glad to see you, Nicky, how's the pod?" I asked warmly as he was bending down to grab some of my parent's leftovers.

"They're good! I don't see them often though, only when I'm hunting in the sea. That's if they're even in the area." He explains while munching on...somebody. He scrunches up his face and spits it out.

"How old is this?"

"A few days?" I shrugged. He rolled his eyes and spit the chewed up flesh out. He threw it away and stopped to sniff the air.

"Somebody's here! Oh, RiyRiy did you have a party or something?" He asks seriously. I let out an awkward laugh and rub the back of my neck.

"Ah nah, umm that's my.....um...well... My mate is here" I said slowly, watching his face for any indication of disapproval. I wasn't supposed to have anyone here and having my mate in the same house, alone, paints a certain picture.

A slow smile spread across his face making me inwardly groan. I know what that face means, his crazy ass is about to do something bold.

"Your mate huh? What's he like?" He says, leaning over the counter in interest. I crossed my arms in suspicion.

"How do you know it's a guy?"

"Oh please, if it was a female, the footsteps that are creeping by the doorway would have been lighter" He says, looking past me where Elijah stood.