Chapter 9

Dan's point of view

I quickly leave the cafe after saying goodbye to Shun and Jake. They constantly asked me why the "new recruit" ran off. Even I didn't know. It almost seemed like he saw a ghost or something. I look nearly everywhere in the city, and I still couldn't find Barodius.

"Have any ideas Drago-buddy?"

"Don't know. They couldn't have gone far though. Let's check the woods. He obviously can't stay alone here."

I nod. It made perfect sense since Barodius would never risk himself being captured by the castle knights. The wpods would definitely be the best place to hide. Most likely he went back to where we met up at noon. As I push past the leaves to get to the meeting spot, I finally spot him and Dharak on a rock.

"You alright? You just suddenly disappeared. Anything I can do to help?"

Barodius's point of view

I turn towards Dan. "Yeah....I'm fine. It's none of your concern. Can I have my clothes back?"

"Okay. I totally forgot I had it."

Dan hands me my clothes, and I head behind a thick bush to change. After I finish, I hand back the uniform. He then gestures for me to sit next to him. I go over to him and sit down. Dharak sits on my shoulder.

"Want to talk now?"

I nod. "I guess, if you are just going to push it."

"Now why did you run out like that? I didn't think that was even possible." Dan comments.

"It's personal."I quickly reply.

"It's good to talk about it, but if it is too personal, I won't push it. Just to let you know, I will be here. Now that I finally found you, I want to help."

"I am with him. You don't have to deal with things alone. Even if you have Dharak." Drago explains as he floats in between us.

"Hey!" Dharak retorts back.

"... Alright. I'll tell you, but don't tell anyone else. Just to you know, you are the only other person who I told this to."

"Why? Not that I wasn't expecting it but why?"

"I rather not think about it often." I reply.

"What is it? We won't tell."

I let out a deep breath. "Well, remember when I said that I had lessons for me to be a good leader." Dan nods. "It goes back to that. You see, back then, my father..."

Flashback (6 years ago)

I pick up my laser blade and charge at my father. I continuously attack my father's laster spear and dodge his attacks. As I dodged what had to be the 100th strike from him, my father deals a strong kick to my stomach. I fall to ground in pain clutching my stomach.

"Get back up you pathetic excuse of a son! You should of went for the killing strikes and not just went for disarming! That would have been the smarter thing to do. Kill them before they get you."

"But, these aren't practice weapons Dad. I could really kill you." I respond worryingly after I got up from the floor.

"That doesn't matter. You don't want to be a weak. Right? Gundalians have no need for kindness. We are warriors. As their prince, you will one day replace me. Yet to do that, you have to be better than me. Your time is soon."

"This isn't right Dad! I'm only 8. I can't lead an empire!"

SMACK!!

I fall to the floor of the training ground again. I then place my hand on my right cheek.

My own father slapped me.

"Insolent brat. You are not 8, you are 17. That is what your subjects see. My time is almost up, and Gundalia needs an emperor. Now, attack again."

I charge again with my blade, but after a few minutes, I fall onto ground, again, by my dad.

"You idiot son! Can't you do anything right?! I told you to strike the fatal points."

I throw my blade towards my dad and put both hands on the ground. I look up at my dad. "I just can't alright. I don't want to risk killing someone. I CAN'T DO IT!" I cry as I then put my head down.

I hear his footsteps coming towards me.

"Look at me." He damands.

I keep my head down.

"Look at me!" He demands again while yanking up my head to look at him. "What did I say about talking back to me?! I am your superior. You do not disobey me! Maybe this will teach you some obedience." He gives me a cold look.

I shiver. "No wait. Dad, I can do better. I promise. I will be the greatest emperor ever. I will listen. Please, don't hurt me." I plea.

"That's not going to cut for me."

For the next hour, Dad kept punching and kicking me till I had bruises all over and what feels like 20 broken bones. I couldn't defend myself.

"Now, go back to your room and reread you textbook. I expect a full summary of it tomorrow morning."

"Yes Dad." I answer emptily.

While my dad walks away, I slowly get up onto my feet and drag myself to my room.

Flashback End

"Every lesson ended up similar to that. Sometimes worst. Father always wanted greatness amd will do anything to achieve it." I finish.

"That... that is horrible. Why didn't you tell me in the beginning?" Dan exclaims.

"I did not want you to worry about me. It was my problem."

"Even so, nobody should ever experience that." Drago adds.

"Why did you run though?" Dan asks.

"In the cafe, I thought I could hear him. It's like he is trying to haunt me." I clench my fist hard.

"It's alright. Come here." Dan opens his arms.

"I don't need a hug Dan." I exclaim trying to not look like I need it even though I do.

"Well, your getting one anyways." Dan circles his arms around me and pulls me close. I feel like a female. Lame.

"You can let go of me now."

"It's alright. You don't have to act tough around me. You shouldn't have gone through that." Dan explains pulling me even closer.

That did it. I never cry in public, but I just couldn't hold it in. My tears start pouring out, and I clutch onto Dan for some sort of support. My black yang necklace slips out of my shirt. He pats me on the back. I slowly stop crying enough to see him speak again.

"I'm happy to help. You had a chance to escape and someone took it away. We will find the truth." Dan takes out his white yin necklace and puts his and mine together. "We're friends. Maybe more in the future, but even so, I care about you.

"Thank you Dan. I care about you too."

---------------------------------------------------------
Author's Note

I hope you all enjoyed this heartwarming chapter. Follow me to receive notifications for all new chapters for all of my stories. Thank you and have a nice day! :)