18. He'll Ruin Your Friendships

When you've been friends with someone long enough, it's easy to tell when something's wrong. I realize it as soon as I get into Melanie's car after school.

We haven't been talking as much lately, but that's only because she's been busy with her boyfriend, and I've been busy working. Not to mention the load of homework that comes with being a junior in high school. 

April gets a ride home from Aiden these days, so now it's just me and Mel cruising down the freeway. I didn't realize that there was weirdness between us until now. 

"What's up?" I ask, turning down the volume of the radio. 

"Nothing new," Mel deadpans, before turning the radio back up. I stare at her blankly, but she doesn't turn to look at me. 

"What is it?" Something is definitely up with her. 

She shrugs, "I just like the song." 

I roll my eyes, turning the radio off completely. "You hate One Direction."

She shrugs, "Well, maybe I changed my mind."

"Doubt that," I scoff. "What's wrong?" 

"Like you have no idea," Mel snaps. I'm taken aback by her sudden hostility. 

"What?"

She doesn't look at me. "I saw you and Ryder in the gym today." 

Does that give her a reason to be upset? I stare out the window for a moment, trying to gather my thoughts. I didn't do anything wrong. Mel can't get mad at me for talking to him, can she? 

"We were just hanging out," I explain, "It's not like he's my boyfriend or anyth—"

"But what if he wanted to be? What if April had seen you? She'd be crushed." 

"April has nothing to do with it!" I say, suddenly getting defensive, "She's over him, anyway."

Mel's knuckles are turning white from her tight grip on the steering wheel. "No she isn't, and you know that. If she found out you were going out with Ryder behind her back—"

"But I'm not!" 

"But you could be!" Mel shouts, her words hitting me like a slap in the face. What does that even mean?

"I'm not dating anyone," I repeat, my voice much calmer, "But even if I was, it's not your problem." 

"It is if you're dating Ryder Hayes! You know the kind of guy he is, I'm just trying to be a good friend by warning you not to waste your time."

We're both jerked forward when the car comes to a stop. "You don't know him like I do," I say, coming to Ryder's defense. What I mean is, you have no idea what he's been through.

"I know the kind of guy he was to April."

"Well I'm not April!" I exclaim, surprising myself with how loud my voice comes out. I think I finally understand why Ryder was so against being referred to as April's ex.

Mel pulls up a block away from Tastee Treats and parks the car. "Why are you defending him?" she asks, her voice sounding like a whisper. 

"Because he's my friend, okay? Because he's not the selfish jerk that everyone always makes him out to be." I adjust my book bag on my shoulder, and yank open the car door. 

"AJ, wait!" She calls after me. Ignoring her request, I step outside and slam  the door behind me harder than I should have. Mel steps out of the driver's side, making sure to lock the car behind her. "Is that really a good enough reason? Because he's somehow manipulated you into thinking that he's not a jerk?"