Chapter 1 The move

The truck was almost overfilled with moving boxes and furnitures. My mother walked down our staircase for the last time with the last moving box. 

I felt a bit sorry for her, she had carried all of these big boxes without any help. Of course she had me, but I didn't feel like helping out since she went along with the idea of dragging me all the way to New Orleans.

It was all because "dad", or should I say Aiden, had gotten some exclusive job offer over there. It was also his job that made it impossible for him to be here right now to help mom with the moving. 

My conscience took the better of me and I forced myself to ask if there was anything I could do for her.

- Mom, can I help you with something? I asked a bit tired and still angry.

- Well, would you mind getting my phone? I think I left it on the balcony railing.

- Okey, I'll be right back.

I hurried upstairs to fetch her phone and on my way downstairs, phone in hand, I still couldn't believe that she forced me into moving. Why couldn't she see that I had my whole life here?

My best friend Katy and my dead hamster "king" who lies buried in the backyard near the apple tree. Lastly my room, with the doorframe where I every year measured my height and compared with last year. 

A feeling of sadness washed over me.

I hurried out of the house so that I wouldn't get too nostalgic and gave my mom her phone.

- Thank you darling.

I could see in her eyes that she was very tired, so I took one last look at the house and stiffened when I saw my reflection in one of the windows. It really hit me how much I was actually leaving behind. These last few days I had just gone through emotions, not really grasping how much change that laid in front of me.But I could see now that this move had taken a toll on my physical appearance. My chocolate brown, curly hair was dry and dark circles rested under my green tired eyes. I always liked to wear jeans while traveling far distances in cars, it just made the trip feel shorter somehow. Therefore I was wearing tight black jeans with black boots and an old red top which had the text "we accept the love we think we deserve" printed on it.

After a last look at my beloved house I walked towards the truck, mom already in the driver's seat, and climbed up to the passenger seat.

The truck started to move and the house disappeared from my sight quickly, but I still managed to catch a last glimpse at my neighbourhood.

My mother was obviously thrilled over the fact that we were finally on our way to our new house, and I would be compelled to spend a three hour drive with her. The one person that were the sole cause of my rage at the moment.

Lovely.