Chapter 10 Marcellus

Angelina's P.O.V

After having a heart to heart with my newly found relatives, I began to realize how much I had missed. I wanted to feel what they felt when they looked at me. I just, couldn't stop thinking about my mother. The person who raised me into who I am today.

No matter how much resentment I felt towards her right now, she was still my mother and she was probably out of her mind with worry.

I even missed Aiden, and I didn't really have an honest connection with him at all. Mary had married him a couple of years back, after losing my biological father to a rare medical condition. Or so I had thought.

My eyes wandered around the people gathered at the kitchen counter, my legs dangling in the air slightly from the stool I was sitting on. They all looked so happy, and I was too in many ways. Something had fallen into place. I wanted to feel content, but I knew I never would, not for right now at least.

They were still strangers and so far, there was only one person I knew that loved me unconditionally. Even though these people might claim to.

That is why despite the betrayal I had to call her, no matter what she always deserved a second chance. She was after all my real mother.

-So, is it possible for me to get my phone back? I asked, and in so doing breaking apart a heated conversation between Elijah, Niklaus and Rebecka about someone called Marcel.

All three turned towards me and I felt my heart sinking from all the attention. They seemed to have forgotten about my presence and by asking a simple question I had drawn all of them back to the present.

Niklaus's eyes softened a bit when turning his attention towards me.

He collected my phone from the inside of his, without a doubt thousand-dollar, coat and handed it to me.

I instinctively grabbed it and turned my back on my so-called biological family.

Haley hadn't said a word after greeting me when we'd arrived and after answering my short questions about the supernatural. I assumed she didn't want to overwhelm me and that was much appreciated.

After handing me my phone, Niklaus, Rebecka and Elijah had quickly resumed their discussion.

-Marcel is one of us, you might as well tell him about our niece! Rebecka said exasperated.

-I don't see how else we're going to keep her safe, he'll find out either way! She continued.

-Yes, well I'm not so sure about that. I might have raised Marcel, but that doesn't give him an automated right to every bloody family secret! Niklaus said, raising his voice at the end.

-Rebecka, how do you think he'll react once he finds out we've lied about our niece's death for over a decade? Elijah asked, annoyance evident in his tone.

-I think he'll appreciate bloody honesty for once! Rebecka screamed in response.

-Instead of choosing option one like always and start one of Nik's schemes, which will only give Marcel yet another reason to retaliate with his group of idiotic followers! She continued.

The argument proceeded to escalate into Rebecka hurling pieces of the décor towards Nicklaus's head.

I just turned towards Haley and motioned towards the kitchen entrance with my phone. She gave me a silent nod and a warm smile before jumping into the argument in an attempt to silence it.

After leaving the kitchen, I headed towards the back of a huge wooden staircase and leaned my back against it. I turned on my phone to find 43 unread messages from "mom" and 31 missed calls from both "Aiden" and "mom".

I decided to send a text message, I didn't feel like a screaming background would give my mother much peace anyway.

Hey mom, sorry for not calling or texting. I've been so upset with you and haven't gotten around to contacting you out of, to be honest, spite. I've been so selfish. I'm sorry.

Message delivered.

I'm not good with coming home right now. Just wanted to tell you I'm OK. So, DON'T worry, please. I'm staying at a friend's place. Need some time alone. Love u.

Message delivered.

Resent bubbled up and I immediately regretted sending the "Love u". She didn't deserve that.

But I didn't know how long I was going to stay here or when I would get a chance to see her again.

I was just about to lock my phone when another red notification drew my attention. Next to Katy's name there was a red 1.

I couldn't help but smile. Finally. She'd seen my missed call.

I pressed on the notification.

Hey Ange, sorry about not responding.. Honestly I don't know how to tell you this but, I don't think I can keep staying in touch with you.. We haven't talked for a while now and, you know, I have a lot going on with friends, cheer practice, bf and stuff.. I'm sorry... I thought I could do this..

I was definitely going to leave her on read.

I sighed.

So much for best friends.

I didn't want to dwell more on Katy. So much had happened since the last time I'd seen her.

-Angelina!

My thoughts were interrupted by Elijah. His eyes fixated on me and he grabbed my arm. In a split second I had gone from standing, to sitting in the backseat of a Range Rover. 

-Wha... What's going on? Where are you taking me? I asked.

Elijah's sudden actions had left me utterly confused. I stumbled on my sentences.

He had situated himself in the driver's seat and raced out from the parking lot so fast that I barely managed to get my seatbelt on before the brute force of his quick getaway almost had my head hitting the car window.

Hadn't they been in an argument just now..?

I had been so consumed by my phone that I'd forgotten about my surroundings.

I sat in silence for a while as the car traveled past the city, woods and more woods.

-Where are we going? I asked, voice steady.

-Marcel has invaded our home. I needed to get you out of there while your father, aunt and mother stayed behind to distract him and his huligans. Elijah stated after driving for about twenty minutes in complete silence.

-What? Who is Marcel? I've barely been able to fill in the blanks of who you guys are! I said, fear creeping up my spine.

To be continued...

Authors note:

I am so sorry for updating like a hundred years later! With everything going on in the world and a relative at the hospital. Things have been quite chaotic. I am SO sorry. I really appreciate all of your comments and votes! Thank you so much. You mean more than u know. I hope that you all stay safe in this scary time. And know that we'll get through this pandemic! That I am sure about!

Hugs from Vanessa!