Chapter 3

MUSTAPHA

Princess Aisha stormed out of the meeting after Prince Musa left. The reason was obvious—she was not happy. I'd watched her grow from a little tomboy to a beautiful flower ripe for plucking.

So far, the Princess has not found any of the princes that have been coming around worthy of her. The more I thought about her, the more I wanted to own her. But first, I thought, I must seek and find a person pure of heart and worthy enough to enter the forbidden cave that holds the lamp.

I have searched for many years for a person hardened by life experiences but still with a good heart. With the lamp, I would become the greatest.

From my window, I watched the princess storm out of her quarters and enter the gardens with her friends behind her. The guard at the gate bowed his head as she approached. He would come and alert us. But I wouldn't wait. The Sultan had no male heir, and anyone that married the princess would one day inherit the kingdom of Zamaja.

I went over to the balcony and looked around. I wound my black cloak around myself and walked closer to the edge. I leaned over to peer down and see if anyone was there. Good. Nobody was watching. I must have leaned too hard because suddenly my body lurched over the rail and I fell off.

The wind rushed past my face. "Akariaka," I muttered. I spread out my hands, and the draft lifted me up. Soon, I was flying above the princess and her friends. If anyone looked up, all they would see was a black crow.