Chapter 10

AISHA

The morning sun came in through the window, and I sat in my room waiting. Where was Fatima? I strode over to the window, turned my head toward the stables and took a deep breath. As I let the air out, in my mind's eye, I saw the young man's face looking at me with curiosity. My body tingled all over. I smiled, but he didn't smile back, just kept on looking.

"Where is the maid?" I said out loud. Now the palace was alive. Footsteps and voices of the servants as they made their way around the house running errands, cleaning and cooking, reached my room. Soon, the aroma of food would waft up from below. I would have gone down to the stable and waited for the man to come. But dealing with all the princes that had come for my hand, I thought, you do not play your hand, no matter your hidden desire.

I went downstairs, and as I headed to the kitchen, Fatima was coming out.

Fatima's eyes widened. "My princess! You are all dressed. I...I was coming to your chambers to help you...Is something wrong?"

What should I call him? "Has...has my horse's master come yet?"

"No, he hasn't," said Fatima. "I thought maybe he wasn't expected today."

"Oh." I tried to hide my disappointment, but I was not fast enough. Fatima noticed, and those large round eyes shot up at me.

Fatima smiled. "I'll go to the guard house and instruct the guards to bring him to the stable as soon as he gets here."

I nodded and walked to the dining hall. The table had enough food to feed an army. I took a grape and threw it into my mouth and chewed. It popped in my mouth, the wet liquid sweet and moist. It didn't cheer me up. Finding out the rest of that story occupied on my mind. Was that true or was I lying to myself? I thought, looking for reasons to see him again and ask him many questions about himself.

"My princess," said Fatima.

My breath caught, and I spun around. I tried to control the eagerness in my voice to hear what news she had. I touched my throat. "Yes?" My voice was calm.

"They didn't see him this morning, only yesterday," said Fatima.

"Thank you, Fatima," I said. Head lowered, I turned to walk back upstairs to my room. Was he sick? From the way we talked yesterday, I'd assumed he would be eager to teach me more about Marengo. "Marengo."

I turned and walked back to the kitchen, grabbed a few apples and headed to the stables. The stable boy was busy shoveling hay as I scurried past. A few feet in front of me was Marengo's stall. I approached, urged on by the familiar smell of horses, hay, and horse manure. I reached the door of the booth and came to a grinding halt. The horse was not there.

I turned around and walked back. This time, the stable boy looked up.

"My princess," said the boy and bowed.

"Where's my horse?" I asked.

"Which one, my princess? They...they all belong to you."

"The white one, Marengo, my personal horse."

"Ah, the white stallion. I put him to pasture with the others."

My frail nerves calmed down. What had I expected? "All right. Did his master, the trainer from yesterday, show up today?"

The stable boy shook his head.

"Ok, that will be all," I said. Disappointed, I left and headed back to the palace. I must find out what had happened to him, I thought. I must find out where he lives and go there. But who would tell me? I couldn't just ask.

I didn't know what had come over me, but I knew what to do; my mind was made up.