Chapter 11

MUSTAPHA

I'd checked out the man I saw riding away on a horse when Aisha was in the spring with her friends. From children around, I went to learn his name and got his life history. He wasn't around the last time I tested people in his area.

Then he showed me kindness, so I offered him the prospect of treasures, as I'd proposed to others.

Despite the miserable life he lived, he gave me his last coins. Who would do that? Only a man pure in heart and worthy could do that, making him a man fit to enter the Forbidden Cave. He was a better man than most of the people I'd encountered, and definitely a better man than me.

Imagine my surprise when the same man showed up as the previous owner of Princess Aisha's horse. To add salt to injury, the princess had fallen for him.

Aladdin refused to go on the quest with me, and I knew exactly what was occupying his mind; the princess had bewitched him. I was fascinated that in the whole kingdom of Zamaja and beyond, only Aladdin intrigued the princess and was also worthy to enter the Forbidden Cave.

The situation left me no choice. Princess Aisha had taken a liking to Aladdin, and there was no room for that. I had to act fast, halt whatever was developing before it progressed to love. That is, if I wasn't already too late.

The more I thought about the situation, the more a solution presented itself. I could kill three birds with one stone; get the lamp, Aisha's hand in marriage and the kingdom from the Sultan. We might add a fourth—getting rid of Aladdin for good. The first step was to stop Aladdin from seeing the princess. I told the guards to send him away when he showed up.