Chapter 28

MUSTAPHA

I was a man on a mission. My mind burned like I had a fever since I'd seen Aladdin with all the things he'd gained through the genie. Doubt crossed my mind. Maybe he took precious stones from the cave to finance what he was doing now? He had the lamp. No palace is built overnight.

Surprise was on my side. Both for Aladdin and the Sultan.

As the Grand Vizier, a retinue of people would have been waiting for me at the port in Jaffa, but I'd come back unannounced. I rented a camel and rode fast. It would be a lot easier to get the lamp while Aladdin was still out of the house. As I rode, I thought of what I should do with the Sultan, how to take over without having to shed much blood. Once I took possession of the lamp, Aisha would be mine, then the Sultanate. I would make myself the new Sultan with Aisha as my bride.

I'd ridden for hours when I saw the gates of Zamaja in the distance. It would take another twenty minutes to get there. I stopped and dismounted, cupped my eyes and looked into the city. A few days ago, only the Sultan's palace had turrets that rose high enough to be seen from anywhere. Now there was a second tower that penetrated the skyline. I knew where to go.

I disguised myself with what I had and turned my cloak inside out. My vizier turban encrusted with a blue sapphire I took off and tied an old rag around my head like a turban, as I'd seen much lesser men do.

Nobody gave me a second look as I rode into Zamaja. The lamp had a lot of rules, and since I was not worthy, it had to be handed over innocently for the powers to transfer. It was time to put my plan to work.

I rode straight to the market to the lamp section and bought all the new lamps available.

Dealing with people was my bread and milk, but practice makes perfect. To get some practice, I started from a poor section of town where people would be more interested in my proposal.

"Give your old lamps for a new one," I cried. Around my shoulders hung all the new lamps I had bought. A few housewives looked at me with suspicion.

"Hey, lamp peddler," said a woman that looked like a sack of wheat. "Are you sure of what you are saying? You'd give me a new lamp if I gave you my old one?"

I nodded. "Give your old lamp for a new one."

"Here." The woman shoved the worst lamp I'd ever seen into my face.

It was as black as charcoals, and I doubt if there was a worse looking lamp in the whole of Zamaja. I took the lamp and gave her a new one. The woman's eyes widened.

"Thank you, sir!" She rushed back into her house.

"Old lamps for a new one!" I shouted. "Hurry! New lamps are running out!"

People tossed their old lamps at me and snapped up new ones. The new line I added seemed to do the trick. I had proven my theory beyond a reasonable doubt. Now to head to Aladdin's palace.

"Your old lamps for a new one!" I screamed at the top of my voice. The house was nice. Inside, I felt like a dagger had been pushed into me. A girl's face peered out of one of the many balconies in Aladdin's house. I yelled louder. The face looked at me and then disappeared.

I held my breath. I could imagine what was going on inside the servant girl's head and inside the house. What a silly peddler, the girl would say. It was a great deal, and her master would be proud of her. She would tear through the house looking for any old lamp. Maybe she had already seen the magic lamp before and might think this was a good opportunity to please her master.

I slowed my pace and continued to shout. "No matter the state of the lamp, I will take it and give you a new one."

I had almost passed Aladdin's compound when the girl poked out of a door.

"Peddler. I have a lamp," said the girl in a sweet voice. "It looks ancient, would you take it?" She pushed the lamp at me.

I couldn't breathe. It was the lamp. My heartbeat sounded like stampeding horses, and I thought my chest would burst. I leaned forward and reached for the lamp. The girl drew back.

"Not too fast, old man. I was born yesterday, but not last night." She stretched out her hand. "The new lamp first."

"You are smart," I said. I handed the servant girl the new lamp, and she gave me the lamp. "Your master will be very proud of you."

She went back into the house bouncing on her feet. I walked away as fast as my legs could carry me, rounded a corner and dumped all the lamps on the ground. "I have it!"