Chapter 35

ALADDIN

"Guard! Guard!" I yelled.

"You better shut up! Or I'll give you something to scream and moan about," said the guard.

"Please come, I have something for you," I said.

"Which prisoner is that?"

"Aladdin," I said. I clasped my hands tighter in prayer and waited. Nothing. Then I heard the scrape of a chair on the floor, the jingle of keys and then footsteps.

"What is it, Aladdin?" said the guard. "I only got up because my sister one time got some gifts you threw into the crowd. She sold them, and the money she made is still feeding her family. I never got one; do you have anything for me?

"Yes!" The ring came off my finger. "Here." My voice was shaky. I held my breath.

The jailer reached into the cell. "Let's see." He took the ring and walked towards one of the several torches hanging on the wall. He raised it to the light.

I watched his every move, and the throbbing in my head coincided with the beating of my heart.

"No good," said the guard. He threw the ring at me. "What luck I have. Things always stop working when it's my turn." He walked away. "Sleep tight, the nights are. No blanket for you."

I found the ring where he had thrown it and slipped it back onto my finger. There was nothing else to do but sleep. The cold woke me up. Only one of the lamp torches was on. If I had the torch, I would set the hay on fire. I rubbed my palm over my arm to warm it. The other alternative was to cover myself with hay. I shuddered and wondered what festered underneath it.

With my arms wrapped around my knees, my teeth still chattered, and a cold shiver traveled down my spine. To warm myself, I rubbed my palms over my arms, then rubbed them together and scratched myself with the useless ring. Seconds later, white smoke shot out of the ring. I stood up. "What is going on?" As it cleared, a man stood before me. Bald, bronze-colored skin and muscular. "Who are you?"

"I am the genie of the ring! Your wish is my command!"