Chapter 7

AISHA

I walked towards the stable door after the young man, breathless. What was happening to me? A tingling sensation swept over my whole body. My knees went weak. "Wait." My voice was a whimper. The lad rushed as if evil spirits were after him.

"Princess Aisha!" a deep voice called out.

I whirled around to see the Grand Vizier wearing a knowing smile, his black beady eyes sparkling. My face, neck, and ears became incredibly hot.

"Grand...Grand Vizier," I stammered. I looked away, not wanting to meet his eyes. "I...I didn't see you. What can I do for you?"

"I see the master of the horse came," said the vizier. "Was he successful?"

I nodded. It was then I realized I hadn't gotten his name. I took a deep breath and cleared my head. "Yes, it went well." I put on my usual smile.

"I see." The vizier glanced at the gate and looked back at me. "I'm happy it worked out fine. Did the previous horse's owner do anything extraordinary?"

"No, no," I said absent-mindedly. "I mean yes! He is indeed the master to the horse. I've never seen an animal love its master so."

"Will it be a problem to keep the horse? We can ask him to return the money and he can take back his horse. Then we can get you a new one."

"No, it won't be necessary," I blurted. "He said all he needed to do was visit a few more times, and the horse will warm up to me and acclimate to me as his new mistress."

"Ah, a few visits," said the vizier. "I see."

I wasn't sure the vizier did indeed see. The look on his face was more like the protective one I see in Father. Nowadays, he was even becoming more protective of who I associate with than Father. "I'll retire to my room. I need to rest my head."

"As you wish," said the vizier and twisted his hand in the air as he bowed.

I breezed past everyone that was in the way, fanning myself as I walked as fast as I could. What was going on with me? It was only a boy. Yes, he was good looking too and wasn't stuck up on my being a princess. As I took the flight of stairs up to my room two at a time, I stopped halfway. "Of course! He didn't know!" I said out loud.

"Didn't know what, my princess?" said Fatima behind me.

I almost jumped out of my skin. I didn't know anyone was behind me.

"Sorry to startle you, my princess," said Fatima. "Is everything all right? You look..." The maid's voice trailed off. "Flushed."

"I'm fine," I said, my hand on my chest. "I'll call you when I need you, Fatima. I just want to be alone for now."

Fatima bowed. "Yes, my princess."

I continued to my room. At the door, I stopped. "Yes," I said out loud again and whipped my head from side to side. Nobody was around. "He didn't finish the story." Right there and then I knew I would have to see him again.