Chapter 22

ALADDIN

I felt someone was watching me. I opened my eyes to see a broad smiling face wearing a turban peering down at me. I screamed. The eyes widened, alarmed. I rolled to my right and landed on the floor with a thud. I jumped to my feet and made a fist.

"Master, are you all right?" asked the man, dressed all in white.

"Master? Who are you?" I looked around, taking in the large room with a large bed. On the walls hung tapestries of hunting scenes in the desert. In all the decorations were images of me elegantly dressed, on a horse, a camel and sitting with other likewise glad men sharing a Hookah in the background.

"Master..." the man's voice trailed off.

A door led to a balcony that extended outside, and I walked toward it. Something banged against my leg. Alarmed, I looked down. It was a lamp. I stared at it, then it all came back to me.

"The genie," I whispered. I rushed outside. Directly in front of me stood the Sultan's palace. "The gods, he did it."

"Prince Aladdin, they expect you at the Sultan's palace by noon," said the turbaned man. "The messengers brought back word. The king accepted your gifts."

"Gifts? What gifts?"

The servant scratched his cheek. "My Master, your instructions were clear. Deliver fifty bowls of precious stones and five elephants to the Sultan's palace. We did that this morning."

"Fifty...fifty bowls of precious stones? Elephants? Ok, yes. Good job. I'll take that bath now." The sooner I got dressed and got used to the new status quo, the better for everyone.

I admired my new attire. A soft white cotton tunic with a silk vest, with exquisite embroidery and silk trousers from China. I looked every bit like a prince.

"Your mount awaits you," said the servant. I went downstairs and stepped outside. I Looked around my home, the pillars made of silver and gold. The arched windows were lined with diamonds. Several minarets rose high in the air. The top of their domes were lined with gold just like the main dome. "How did the genie manage all this? A palace that took one night to build?" Everybody seemed to be used to my new existence. I seemed to be the only person out of the loop.

In front of my palace stood a magnificent white horse.

"Your horse, sir," said the servant.

I mounted the horse. Even the saddle and tackle were ornate. As I rode, a red carpet appeared like magic and extended before me. Every step the horse took was on the red carpet.

"Aladdin! Prince Aladdin!" yelled the town folk as I passed. Instinctively, my hand reached for a pouch attached to the saddle. I dipped my hands in and grabbed a fistful of what was in it. I brought my fist out and opened it—gems. Then I did the unthinkable. I tossed them into the crowd. This I did until the pouch was empty. By then, I was at the Sultan's palace, and the Sultan himself was outside waiting for me.

"Prince Aladdin!" said the Sultan.

"Your Highness," I said and bowed. "Thanks for inviting me to your lovely home." I bowed. Where did I learn that?

"Aladdin, the pleasure is all mine," said the Sultan. "The princess accepts your request. She's in the garden."

My stomach, fluttery and empty, tightened. I rubbed my sweaty palms on my trousers. This was more than I'd expected. I walked towards the garden, unsure of myself in the new person I'd become. How do I respond to the princess?