TWO

It had been a week since we had escaped from WCKD most of my group had gone, from fifteen there was only two of us left, Alfie and I

It had been a week since we had escaped from WCKD most of my group had gone, from fifteen there was only two of us left, Alfie and I. I didn't trust this place it seemed fishy. They apparently were transporting us to a 'safe farm' something about Janson bugs me the most maybe it's the fact that he reminds me of a rat but there was something up with this place and I didn't trust anyone not one single bit, because usually when something sounds too good to be true, it is.

Anyways today a new batch of kids were supposed to arrive. I was dreading it because I'm sure that these 'saviours' of ours were jut using us for what? I don't know yet, but I intend to find out.

I was in a bad mood and exhausted I couldn't sleep properly anymore, whenever I did I'd see flashes from when we escaped the maze, how Bert sacrificed himself for me to the Stinger and how James took a bullet for me. I didn't deserve that it should've been me who died, he was aiming the gun at me. I'd even see Leo's face that was twisted in agony and haunted by whatever he was going through.

I also dreamt about my time WCKD I saw Ava Paige a lot I remember her telling me that I was special that I could save the world, well she told Thomas and I together.

Thomas, Thomas was a frequent part of my dreams I'd see small flashes of us sharing quick secret smiles or laughing at inside jokes that no one around us understood one memory that particularly haunted me is one time I was crying hard with Thomas about something and, just seeing the pain, the horror and the fear on his face was enough to make me feel sick.

I didn't know what we were crying about though all I knew is that we were heartbroken over something and that I'd have this dream on most nights. It was strange because I missed Thomas but at the same time I didn't because I knew him but I didn't know him. I often wondered where he was and wether he was safe, maybe he'd been put in the maze of the children he was monitoring, if they got out I hoped that they'd never come here.

I was lamely picking at the mush waiting for Alfie was to come to the table, he was talking to some other kids at another table unlike him I wasn't really the most social person. I looked over at Aris and gave him a small smile. Aris and his group came around about the same time we did we'd been here the longest and like us Aris was the only one left out of his group. His maze was an all girls maze whereas in my maze there was only two girls my twin sister Ada and I.

I saw that Alfie was talking to the new kids and so with a sigh I went to either grab him or join him, after everything that had happened I didn't want to be away from him, you could say that I was a bit protective and paranoid but he was all I had left. "Hey Alfie, who're you talking to." I grinned at him and soon as he saw me he beamed back and moved over so I could sit next to him, "these are the new kids Newt, Minho, Winston, Jack and Frypan." My eyebrows raised at the end name but I didn't say anything because we had a 'Pie' in our maze. "Nice to meet you guys I'm Rose I was in Alfie's maze." They all nodded and gave sorts of hello in return. I spoke with the boys for a while and they were quite nice and reminded me of certain people from my own maze but I ended up zoning out feeling bad for the new kids led into this trap of having hope that everything would be fine.

I started paying attention again when the last member of the group made his way over. I couldn't move my eyes away from the approaching boy, "Hey Alfie, Rose this is-" Newt was about to introduce him but I interrupted, "Thomas?" They all looked at me in shock wondering how I knew that, but I'd know that face anywhere and it seemed like Thomas recognised me as well he'd been staring at me the same way I was staring at him. "R-Rose?" His voice stuttered a bit in shock at the girl in front of him.

Alfie and then rest of the boys were beyond confused on what was happening. "I remember you. What are you doing here?" The two of us said in unison. It was weird I couldn't seem to tear my eyes off of him, he looked exactly as he did in my dream memorises his warm hazelnut brown eyes flitted around my face as if trying to memorise every detail, I was doing the same thing. We were finally shook out of our little staring session once Janson entered the room with his list. I couldn't help the sharp intake of breath once he began reading out names.

"Good evening, gentlemen. Ladies. You all know how this works. If you hear your name called... please rise in an orderly fashion, join my colleagues behind me... where they will escort you to the eastern wing. Your new lives are about to begin. Connor. Evelyn. Ev! Justin. Peter. Allison. Squiggy. All right. Settle down. Franklin. Abigail. And finally Alfie."

My face fell as I looked over at sweet innocent Alfie who always looked for the positive in any situation. His face lit up as he jumped out of his seat with a grin. I quickly followed and pulled him into a hug, when I pulled away I gave him a smile I couldn't find it in me to scare him especially when I didn't know what was going to happen to him. "I'll see you soon." He nodded and gave me a kiss on the cheek before joining the others. I sat down with a sigh it was official I was the last one left from my maze.

"Now, now, don't get discouraged. If I could take more, I would. There's always tomorrow. Your time will come. Go on, eat up."

I made my way back to Aris he sent me a sympathy filled grin he knew how I felt about this place, he felt the same. We had climbed into the vents and would always see them cart bodies under white sheets into a restricted room it happened everyday like clockwork. Aris and I concluded that it must've been the kids that Janson calls out every night and now Alfie would be one of them.

I decided to just go to my room early the last thing I heard was Thomas shouting for some girl, I couldn't even find it in me to care, I was alone I'd lost everyone.