TEN

"They've been planning this for over a year now

"They've been planning this for over a year now. This is all for us." Harriet explained as we walked down to the base, "You guys are lucky you found us when you did. We're moving out at first light. Where's Vince?" Sonya asked a guy, "Somewhere over there, I think." He waved off. "Who's Vince?" Thomas and I asked, "He's the one who decides if you get to stay." Leo said, "I thought the Right Arm was supposed to be an army." Minho said.

"Yeah, we were. This is all that's left of us. Lot of good people died getting us this far. Who are they?" Some guy I'm guessing Vince. "They're Immunes. Caught 'em coming up the mountain." Harriet told him and he nodded, I looked at Brenda who looked pretty rough. "Did you check 'em? I know this guy, Aris. I trust him." Harriet told him.

"Well, I don't. Check 'em." He instructed and I grew slightly nervous thinking of my arm but I was certain I want going to get ill because I was bitten the same time Winston was but I was completely fine I just wasn't sure they'd believe me if they saw the bite mark on my arm.

"Hey, boss..." one of the guys said looking a Brenda, She wheezed and then fell forward, "Brenda! Brenda! Brenda! Brenda. - Brenda, talk to me." Jorge called to her as he pulled her into his arms, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry." She wheezed out. "What's going on with her?" Vince asked, "I don't know. Brenda, are you all right? Brenda? Talk to me." Jorge replied, I shared a knowing look with Thomas as vince pulled her bandage down.

"What the hell? shit!" He whispered quickly standing, "Crank! We got a Crank!" He said as he pointed his gun at her. Thomas and I quickly shielded her, No! No! Wait, wait!" We called out. "Step back!" Vince yelled. "Listen, okay? This just happened, okay? She's not dangerous yet." Thomas told him. "You shouldn't have brought her here!" He yelled at us. "We know." I told him. "We let Cranks in here now, the safe haven doesn't last a week! - Step back!" He yelled at us, "we understand, okay? We understand. Just listen. Please. Please, okay? I told her that you could help. Okay? No. There's got to be something you can do." I begged and Vince looked between Thomas and I.

"Yeah, there is. I can put her out of her misery." He said cocking his gun, "No! No!" Jorge yelled out. "Vince, that's enough! Let him go. Let him go!" A woman said making her way over. "She's infected, Doc. There's nothing we can do for her." He told her but she was looking at us, "No, but they can. Hello, Thomas, Rose." She said to us and this time I put my hand in Thomas's, "What? You know us?" He asked as we looked at each other and then her. "Interesting. It makes sense they'd put you in the maze. Though I must admit... I was worried they'd kill you after what you did." She said checking on Brenda.

"What we did?" I asked her thinking of the memory I had. "The first time we spoke, you said you couldn't take it anymore... watching your friends die, one by one. The last time we spoke... you gave me the coordinates of every WICKED compound, trial and lab." She told us and we looked at each other in shock.

"They were our source." Vince mumbled. "We couldn't have pulled all this off without them." She smiled at us. I squeezed Thomas's hand as everyone started at us, Teresa looked kind of upset and mad. "Take her to the tent. Get these guys some warm clothes. Careful. Come on. Hey, it's the least we can do. Thomas, Rose come on. I need to get some blood from you." She told us as she pulled us along with her.

"In the beginning, we were lost. All we knew for sure... was that the younger you were, the stronger your chances." She told us as we sat beside Brenda in the tent. "You worked for WICKED?" I asked her, "A Long time ago. You know, at first, we had the best intentions. Find a cure, save the world. It was clear you kids were the key, because you were immune. But why? Eventually, we found an answer. An enzyme produced by the brains of the immune. Once separated from the bloodstream... it can serve as a powerful agent to slow the spread of the virus." She explained.

"So, you found a cure?" Thomas asked as we turned to look at her, she shook her head, "Not exactly. The enzyme can't be manufactured, only harvested from the immune. The young. Of course, that didn't stop WICKED. If they had their way... they'd sacrifice an entire generation. All for this. A gift of biology. Of evolution. But one not meant for all of us."

"How long will that give her?" I asked as she injected Brenda with the antidote made with Thomas's blood. "It's different for everyone. A few months maybe. But that's the catch, isn't it? She'll always need more." I looked down "Okay. Let's go outside. Let them rest. Let's go. She'll be fine." She said pulling Jorge up, and pulling her gloves off, "Thomas, Rose... you know she can't come with us right?" She asked and I nodded my head sadly blinking away tears, I'd cried enough. I let go of Thomas's hand and left the tent.

I sat outside alone looking at my own bite mark that had healed, and only left a scar, I traced over it lightly. It was unfair that I had this enzyme that allowed me to heal and many others in the world had to suffer because they didn't. I sighed and went to find the boys and check on them. I found them all, and Newt handed me some water, "Thanks." I grinned taking a sip and handing it back. "You all ok?" I asked and they sent me smiles and nods, "Do you guys know where Leo and Enrico are?" I asked, "yeah they went to find some guy, Pie? From your maze or something." Frypan said making my face light up, "Pie? He said Pie was here." They laughed at my enthusiasm, "yep he's over there with them." Newt pointed me in the direction, I squealed and gave him a hug before running off to go say hi to Pie.

"Rose!" Pie yelled once he saw me, "Pie!" I yelled back as I laughed and ran into his arms. "You're here too?" I asked and he nodded with a laugh. The four of us caught up and told our stories from when we last saw each other. I told mine last and they all laughed and made fun off me, "you did not." I couldn't help but join in with their laughter, "I'm telling the truth I did." I giggled along with them. I felt peace for once like everything would be ok. "Ok if you say so, but what's going on between you and Thomas."
Enrico asked raising his eyebrows, I blushed slightly making the boys laugh harder.

I told them everything from the memories to the kiss leaving out the fact I saw Leo. I knew I could trust these boys because they were my family. "I wish, Bert could've seen all this." Pie spoke up making us look down, "and nick." Enrico added, "and Alfie." Leo said, "and Ada and James." I spoke looking at the bracelet he gave me. "They'd be proud of you, you know Rosie." Leo told me and I nodded, "I hope so." I looked at them and then around at everyone and everything, "you know what's funny? For as long as I can remember all I wanted to do is go home, I missed it, I wanted my parents, my family to hug me and tell me that they'd never let me go again. But how can you be homesick for a home you've never known, a home you never had? I don't miss my home or my family anymore because I realised you're my family and I'm already home." The boys all nodded and we had an emotional group hug.

"Hey Rose!" Minho called out chucking something at me from the mountain, effectively ruining our moment "Hey shank." I called throwing it back hearing the gladers bark out laughter as it hit him in the face. I grinned at them Newt's words still fresh in my mind.

"What's a shank?" Enrico asked and I and shrugged, "I don't know, he's called me shank many times." I told them. I frowned slightly when I saw Teresa stood alone on the cliff. I wanted to join her but I didn't really know her all that well.

"Here, Rosie you need to eat." Pie told me passing me some food, I grinned at him feeling safe and calm for once.