10. Catching Up

Kaylea awoke lying in her bed. She must have dozed off. She felt Thorin against her back, his arm around her waist. The walls were set to a grove of trees on Dorsai, the sky was just turning pink above the mountains on the far wall. She could feel Thorin was awake and put her hand over his, snuggling against him.

"What time is it?" Thorin asked. It had taken him a moment to remember where he was. He was sleeping in the most comfortable bed he had ever been in, but he was also in a grove of trees. Then he remembered, he was on a spaceship with the woman he loved and a giant orange cat who could read minds.

"The projection shows the time outside," Kaylea replied. "It is an hour before dawn."

Thorin sighed, he was so comfortable he did not want to move but he knew Kaylea never stayed still for long. This time she did not move immediately, just leaned back against him watching the dawn light grow stronger. Thorin looked around the room, there was not much personal about it. He had seen last night the walls opened up into all kinds of storage spaces: weapons, clothing, tools. There was a narrow desk along one wall and a table beside the bed, both without any kind of object or decoration on them. As he was looking at the desk a rectangular frame appeared on the wall, a blue light blinking in the corner.

A soft, melodious voice said something in a strange language. Thorin started, what was that? Kaylea answered in the same language. The blinking light stopped, the frame on the wall remained.

"Who was that?" He asked.

"That was the Ship," Kaylea said. "This spaceship is run by a kind of machine that thinks, it can also talk." Thorin knew what she was talking about, the ship's computer. Pilot must have put that one in his head.

"But what was that, on the wall?"

"Message from someone I do not feel like talking to today."

Thorin shifted to look at her face. "You can do that? Talk to people across the stars?"

"Yes," she turned her head to look at him. "I know, I put this off too long."

Thorin lay back down, hugging her. "All these years, we could have been talking to each other," he sighed. "I hope you are giving me something so I can send you messages when you leave."

Kaylea turned to look at him. "That, and a few other things," she said.

"Are you giving me a rifle, my love?" He whispered in her ear, now he knew what they were called. "I will make it worth your while." He moved his hand down between her legs.

Kaylea laughed, taking hold of his hand and bringing it back up to her chest. "No. If I give you one of those you will start building them and all Blackwolf's work to protect this place will be undone. Not to mention he will have my head on a plate."

Thorin sighed, tightening his arm around her. It got him thinking about the projectiles. Most of the weapon he understood, the barrel would be very hard to make but not impossible. What stumped him was the projectiles. How to move them down the barrel?

"Is this really how you live? I think your former quarters in Erebor have more decoration than these," Thorin told her.

Kaylea chuckled. "You do realize this whole ship moves? You cannot leave loose things lying around," she reached over and touched the wall next to the bed. A drawer slid out, she reached into it and stood up a photo of Thorin she had taken in Erebor. "You are right here, my king."

Thorin smiled. "So, you sleep with my portrait beside your bed, as I sleep with yours," he said. "Do you also dream of the day I wake up beside you every morning?"