Chapter Ten

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Donna wiped her hands on a kitchen towel before walking out to the living room where Opie was laying on the couch watching something about motorcycles on tv. She leaned against the wall, taking a deep breath before speaking.

"Hey, Ope? Can we talk?"

He clicked a button on the tv and the tv went silent as he sat up. "Sure babe. What's up?"

Donna sighed as she sat down beside him on the couch. "You remember Maddox, right?"

Opie nodded as he lit a cigarette. "Sure, the chick Mark and Jax are sparring over. She seems cool. What about her?"

Donna nodded. "You remember me saying that it was crazy how much the two of you resembled each other?"

Opie nodded. "Sure." When she just looked at him, he shook his head. "What? Just spit it out, Don."

Donna blew out a breath and nodded. "Okay. She's your sister, Opie." She shrugged. "Well, half-sister, I guess."

Opie stared at her for a moment, his mouth opening and shutting as he tried to figure out what to say. Finally, he shook his head. "What the fuck do you mean, she's my sister? I think I'd know if I had a sister, Donna."

Donna shook her head. "Not if your dad didn't know." She ran a hand through her hair. "You ever remember your mom and dad talking about when they split that time? Right after you were born?"

Opie nodded. "Yeah, but they were broken up for maybe two weeks before pop came back."

Donna nodded. "Yeah, but that's enough time. See, Maddox's mother was a nurse during the war. I guess they met, had a thing, but then pop was shipped off to Vietnam and they didn't see each other again until they met by accident when pop left Mary. Maddox's mom was pregnant when he came back to you."

Opie stared at his boots for a moment before shaking his head and sighing. "I don't know what to say or think. Does she want something? Money or shit like that?"

Donna shook her head. "No, Ope. She just wants to know that she has a family. Her mom died recently. Maddox didn't know anything until she found letters to herself and Piermont Winston in her mom's things."

Opie sighed again. "Okay. She has proof then. At least she has proof that her mom thought pop was her dad. What if he isn't? I can't do that to pop, Donna."

Donna sighed and ran a hand through her hair. "I know, but... will you at least talk to her?"

Opie looked at her for a moment then nodded. "Yeah, I'll give her that. I can hear what she has to say."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maddox stood staring at the door in front of her, trying to work up the nerve to knock. She bit her lip and raised her hand when the door opened and Donna was standing there grinning at her. "I heard your car pull up and thought I was going to have to come drag you into the house."

Maddox grinned as Donna moved back to let her in. "Well, the thought of running did occur to me. How did he take it?"

Donna sighed as they walked toward the living room. "He's willing to hear what you have to say, but I gotta tell you, he's not really convinced that Piney's your dad."

Maddox nodded, knowing that if he didn't believe her, this wouldn't take long. When she walked into the living room with Donna at her side, seeing Opie sitting on the couch with a frown on his face. She took a deep breath and sat down in the first chair she came to as Donna sat beside Opie. They sat in silence for a moment before Opie nodded to himself.

"Donna says that you have some letter to prove what you say."

Maddox nodded as she dug in her purse, pulling out a sealed envelope and handing it to him. "This is the letter to your father. I haven't opened it but I'm assuming it says the same that mine does."

Opie gave a short nod and carefully opened the envelope before taking the sheet of paper out and unfolding it. She watched him take a deep breath and start to read, his eyes scanning from left to right for a few minutes before he shut them and folded the paper back up.

"Is this all you have?"

Maddox looked at him in surprise before nodding. "Yeah. I mean we could do a DNA test if that... "

Opie shook his head and stood up. "No. Pop's health isn't the greatest. I don't want to put him through this. I mean, you might not even be his. How do we know that pop was the only man your mom was banging back in the day?" Donna gasped and he shook his head. "What do you think you're going to get out of this? He doesn't have money, just so you know."

Maddox closed her eyes for a moment before nodding and standing up. Donna stood too and took a step toward her. "Honey, he's just upset... "

Maddox gave her a sad smile before turning a stony look in Opie's direction. "No, Donna. He was pretty clear just now. My mother was a whore and I'm just looking to fleece his father. You can't be clearer than that." She shook her head. "I'm sorry I wasted your time." She laughed bitterly and shook her head. "No, I'm sorry I wasted my time. Believe me, I won't bother you anymore."

Opie cursed under his breath as she moved toward the door. "Hey, wait. I... "

Maddox shook her head. "No, I think I've heard enough."

As she slammed the door behind herself, Donna turned on Opie with a glare. "Could you have handled that worse? Oh my god, Ope!"

Opie sighed and shook his head. "Okay, that was bad. I'll give her a day or so to calm down and try to talk to her."