Chapter Fourteen

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maddox opened her eyes when the door to her room opened, seeing Gemma walking in with a white take out bag in her hand. She smiled at Maddox and patted her on the leg as she set the bag on the table across Maddox's lap and sat down in the chair beside the bed.

"I had orders to bring you food. I hope a grilled cheese and fries works for you."

Maddox grinned and opened the bag, inhaling the smell of the hot food and making Gemma chuckle. "It does, thanks! I was starving." She ate for a few minutes before speaking again. "So... the business Jax had to handle. He's looking for Mark, isn't he?"

Gemma lifted a brow and shrugged. "I have no idea what you're talking about, sweetheart. I know there are a few cars at the lot that need fixing. Maybe that's what he meant."

Maddox gave her a side look and sighed. "I don't know if you knew it, but the night that I talked to Opie about... our father, I got drunk." She grinned a little and shook her head. "Never been drunk before that night and I'm not looking to repeat it anytime soon. Anyway, while Venus was talking to Opie, David Hale stayed with me so that I wouldn't be alone."

Gemma shook her head and rolled her eyes. "How chivalrous of him."

Maddox nodded, choosing to ignore the sarcasm dripping from Gemma's tone. "It was. While he poured coffee into me, we had a conversation. Well, he talked and I listened. I learned a lot that night."

Gemma sighed. "Sweetheart, you can't believe anything Hale tells you."

Maddox chewed on a fry before winking at Gemma. "Let's cut the bullshit. I'm not stupid and I'm not blind. I also have ears. David isn't the only one that has told me about SAMCRO. I already had some idea since I looked into my father. Now, I don't know everything they get up to, but I know enough to know that the shop is just a cover."

She shifted a little, wincing as the stitches in her side pulled. Gemma got up and fixed her pillow for her before sitting down on the bed. "What are you trying to say, baby?"

Maddox thought for a moment, chewing on a bite of sandwich. She finally sighed. "I know that if they find Mark, it's not going to be pretty. I also know that he won't magically turn up where the cops can find him. I'm not sure that I want to be responsible for his death."

Gemma looked at her for a long moment before reaching over to put a stray curl behind Maddox's ear. "Look, sweetheart. You want to cut the bullshit, so let's do that completely. You aren't responsible for anything that happens to Mark. He is. Jax sees you as his, and he'll make sure that Mark suffers for causing you pain." She shrugged. "It would be no different if it was me, or Donna, or Venus in your place. We're old ladies, and the boys take that shit seriously. They're all about their families. Shit, when it comes right down to it, everything they do in some way has to do with taking care of their families." She stole a fry from the bag and ate it before continuing. "For a long time after Tara died, Jax was in a bad place. I was scared for him. He was reckless and didn't seem to care if the reaper came for him or not. Then he met you and I saw the clouds in his eyes clear. He cared again."

Maddox sighed and shook her head. "It scares me."

Gemma frowned. "What does? The club?"

Maddox shook her head. "No. This thing between me and Jax. It scares the shit out of me. It seems to be moving so fast. I mean, we've only kissed twice and he's ready to call me his?"

Gemma chuckled quietly and nodded. "His father was the same way. Once he made up his mind about anything, it was resolute. No changing his mind. These men love fast and hard, and once they decide that you belong with them, they'll move heaven and earth to make it so. You need to decide now if he's what you want because he won't give you much time to think it over."

Maddox grinned sheepishly and nodded. "I want him."

Gemma lifted a brow. "And the club? You can't have one without the other."

Maddox nodded. "I know."

Gemma grinned and leaned in to kiss the younger woman on the cheek. "Well, welcome to the family, sweetheart."

Maddox chuckled and shook her head as they heard a knock on the door before Jax stuck his head in and smiled. "What's going on in here?"

Gemma grinned and winked at Maddox before standing up to grab her bag. "Nothing, just woman talk. Why don't you walk me to my car?"

Jax nodded before stepping around her to kiss Maddox and steal a fry. "You good while I walk mom out?"

When Maddox nodded, he kissed her again and walked out behind his mother.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When they were outside the hospital, Gemma lit a cigarette and grinned at Jax. "Here we've been trying to cover the club shit and Hale already had a chat with her about all of it."

Jax cursed under his breath as he lit his own cigarette. "What does she know?"

Gemma chuckled. "She's a smart one, baby. She's got you and the club pretty well figured out."

Jax gave her a look. "Should I be worried about that?"

Gemma shook her head. "No, she's good with everything. Well, if she isn't, she will be." She shook her head. "I have a feeling she's going to be like me. You won't be able to hide shit from her." She took his face in her hand and kissed him on the cheek. "She's going to be good for you and the boys, I know it. She'll be a damn good old lady, baby."

Jax blew out a breath and nodded before he grinned and winked at his mom. "Yeah? Then why the hell am I out here talking to you? I got an old lady inside that needs my attention."

Gemma chuckled and smacked him on the arm. "Smartass. Who's got the boys?"

"Ope and Donna. They're good with them for the night."

Gemma nodded before turning serious. "Did you take care of it?"

Jax nodded. "Yeah, it's done."

She nodded before turning to walk to her car. "Good. Go take care of Maddox, baby. I'll see you tomorrow."

Jax laughed to himself before turning to walk back inside. "Yes, ma'am."