#7 : Apology

Jennie's POV

"What are you doing here?" She asked. I nervously look at the ground. "I came with Kai." I said simply, my eyes darting on her face. She nodded, her eyes looking over my body almost as if checking for herself if I'm really pregnant. My stomach is still the same except if I'm wearing a tight fitted dress. Her lips are pressed in a tight line. "Your choice is final then?" She asked. "You're having the baby?"

I responded with a nod to prevent an argument. We can do this anywhere but here, I came for Kai and I don't feel like discussing such a private thing when anyone could walk in.

•••

After I've told Rosé about my mom apologizing, we both head to bed. I'm exhausted from the drive itself. My bed feels softer than usual which only makes me sleepier.

I woke up feeling like last night was a lie. Even after a shower and breakfast, it feel like a fake. It's hard to believe that after being told what to do, I finally stood up for myself and now they see how unfair they were. I was proud with myself for getting away from that house. So many terrible memories of being out of place and mistreated emotionally.

But seeing my mother's guilt and regret made me immediately feel bad. So, I pushed every single time that she made me miserable aside and accepted her apology. Just like that.

And then, I wondered why I constantly get screwed over. Because of how easily I let people get me sympathy. My phone vibrated on the bed as I fold my clothes. Taking a second to put it all away and not worry about it later.

My dad's name popped up on the screen, a new message from him. I stared at the screen, so many things coming to mind. I bite my lip, sliding to unlock the screen and pressing on the message. And it said,

'Meet me for lunch, I want to talk to you.'

•••

My dad's apology was a lot more straightforward than my mother's was. He admitted to being so in love with the idea of his two daughters going to a top university.

I reminded him that this doesn't mean that I'm giving up on the idea. I just want to figure things out first and then consider college. Overall, we both had a conversation that didn't involve one of us getting angry.

We both sat there for an hour and for once, he didn't try to control my decisions. To top it all off, my dad and my mother gave me a check of a thousand dollars. For the baby. The short note on the envelope said.

He specifically told me to open it when I got home. An hour away from them, knowing that I'd be reluctant to accept their gift.