Chapter Nine

Beau

Our game against Sheridan was a breeze, 28-7. Gaylon intercepted the ball and made it to the 20 yard line. On the next play Sam was left wide open. I sent the ball soaring straight for him. The last 10 yards were easy for Sam to cover. We’re only two games in our record being 2-0. This will be our year. State Champs.

    Brain Adler our 1st string tight end is throwing a party to celebrate the win. Well, really to celebrate his parents being away. Brian would use any excuse to throw a party. He’s a decent guy, always had my back.

“I’ll meet you at Brian’s later. I gotta shower and whatnot. Whose DD tonight?” I was the DD for the last two parties. I need a drink tonight. Sawyer has my head all in a mess. I can’t stop thinking about her.

Sam looks at Gaylon and shouts, “Nose goes!” Gaylon practically shoved his finger up his nose trying to beat Sam. He did it so fast and with such force he caused a nose bleed.

    “Damn Knoll, If you need a drink that bad I’ll volunteer to DD.” Sam snarks.

    “Shit! That really fucking hurts.” Sam and I couldn’t hold back the laughter and the tears that followed. We lost our shit.

    I change into my workout clothes. I pack my uniform in my duffle bag and sling it over my shoulder. I wave to the guys and head out to the parking lot. I check my phone anxious to see if maybe Sawyer had changed her mind. One text from mom wishing me luck on my game, five from crazy Caroline, and one from Lucy Hawkins. I check it right away.

    Lucy -Is Sawyer with you?

I quickly respond.

    Me-No ma’am.

I checked the time of the text. 6:20pm. It’s well after 8. I shoot Lucy another text.

    Me-Did you find her?

    *PING*

    Lucy-No, I’ve called her phone a million times. No answer.

    Me-Did you check her place?

    Lucy-Not yet. Omw now.

    Me-I’ll meet you there.

    My heart rate jumps. I fumble with my keys. Finally I manage to unlock my truck and turn the ignition. I speed out of the parking lot. I have a horrible feeling sitting at the bottom of stomach. Flashbacks of her bruised face play in my head. I pick up the phone to call David, my stepfather. He’s dealt with Sawyer’s father before. It rings a few times before heading to voicemail. I leave him a brief message and continue speeding to Sawyers.

    I pull up behind Lucy’s Jeep Cherokee. I walk up to her window. She’s not there. I feel the panic rise. I race to the front door. I swing it open and without any hesitation rush in. The living room is empty and silent. I inch forward slowly.

    “Lucy” I call out. Still nothing. I head towards the stairs and that’s when I see the blood. It’s not a lot, but enough to know someone is injured at least. I hear steps on the second floor. My heart pounds so loud it’s almost all I can hear. Lucy appears at the top of the stairway.

    “Fuck, Lucy you scared the shit out of me.” I’ve never seen her look so concerned. Not since Sawyer’s mother’s funeral. Sawyer’s dad smacked her in front of everyone. That’s when David stepped in and told Trenton he either straightens up or he’ll pull his investment out of Trenton’s business and make sure that Sawyer files assault charges. He quickly apologized to David and was decent towards Sawyer for the last year and a half.

    “She’s not here. I found her phone and purse. Is that blood?!” Lucy finally notices the splats of blood on the stairs and the small pool next to Sawyer’s softball trophy.

    “I didn’t see her dad. Is he up there?” Lucy shakes her head no. “We should go outside and call the police.” Her eyes widen at the realization that I’ve already come to. Sawyer is missing and in some sort of trouble.