XIV

A Crown Of Thorns has surpassed a 100 reads!! Thanks to everyone reading this, this chapter's for you.

Listen to Heaven in hiding by Halsey while reading this chapter, it suits the mood of the chapter. Enjoy the anticipated fight of Demi and Babatunde and don't forget to leave a comment or a vote.

***

The midnight's wind against my skin is harsh and unforgiving, briefly I am thankful that my hair has been braided or it would be dancing to the tune of the wind now.  I am surrounded by the whole village, the village square is packed with all of them awaiting my defeat and public humiliation.

Men have brought their wives and children to watch, this is what happens to a disobedient wife, they tell their own wives. To their little daughters they whisper the same thing. I have been written off even before the duel, they are so sure that I will lose that it is all they can whisper. The air has written me off, the half moon has too and the buzzing insects whisper in my ears words of mockery -- or maybe I am just delusional --

The air is cold, but it is also warm and hot with anticipation as they await the arrival of the chief; Babatunde. I expected him to pull a stunt like this so his lateness is not surprising.

His wives are in the crowd though, the fair Asake throws me a small wave and I return the gesture with a nod. My husband eyes me with suspicion from where he is seated on his throne that has been moved from the palace.
It occurs to me that he is always looking at me that way, everyday he wakes up to the thought, what are you up to this day Demilade?

My eyes are unfocused but my ears hurt from the shouting crowd and the thump thump of the drums being beaten by the enthusiastic drummers. The drummers drum tunes of war and drum praises of men.

Tara cozies up to me, disguised as a palace guard, she was banished from the village years ago hence the disguise, she risks her life if she caught.

"You should not be talking to me," I warn lowly.

She hisses out a low laugh, it startles me because I have never heard her laugh and it startles me even more that this stoic woman is capable of finding something amusing.

"I shouldn't," She nods. I peer into her face and notice the disoriented look.

"You are drunk Tara," My voice comes out snappy mostly out of concern, drinking makes one sloppy and leaves one with a loose tongue.

Tara is quick to scoff.

"Just a little palm wine to get me through this night. I am more lethal when intoxicated, watch me," Tara nudges me lightly as a furious guard stumbles past us. Tara bumps into him lightly, apologizing in a feigned male voice.

The guard snarls in return as he walks away. She fishes out a single cowrie currency and winks at me.

"My stealing skills are still very sharp," She says. I am impressed.

"Ole," I say, half teasing.

"You should be careful you know, Babatunde is a dangerous man to duel with. He has powers, magic you do not understand. This will not be like fighting Kosoko who is only a man dangerous in words." Tara says.

"Any advice?" I decide to humour her, I do not fear Babatunde, not when I know who he is and how he fights. The chief will fight dirty and I am prepared to fight equally dirty.

Tara answers me seriously.

"Try not to die, knowing Babatunde, he will kill you in the fight and make it look like an accident. Nobody will doubt him,"