Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

It's been a couple of days and nights since my banishment to Neverland.

I have lost count of how long I have stayed on the island, but as scary as it may sound, I felt like I was starting to actually fit in.

I did not want to admit it. I did not want to feel that way. I hated it. And that is why I had to push that thought at the farthest back of my head and lock it up, for I forbade myself to think about such an insane thing.

I had to leave Neverland.

I quietly revolved the stick that held a hog captive on top of the bonfire and steadily roasted it. It was my turn to cook. I didn't mind though, because it gave me time for myself.

Camp was eerily quiet. Everyone was inside their own hut, doing God knows what, and I could honestly care less about what they did - except perhaps, Peter Pan.

Peter never failed to intrigue me in the most unexpected of ways. He was most definitely unique. I did not feel any sort of compassion towards the boy, and I did not care if he got drowned by the mermaids for all I care, but he was interesting nonetheless.

He always had a thing to say if I was to ever defy him. It alarmed me to find his level of sarcasm exceeding my own, and that's saying a lot because I am quite the sarcastic, snarky girl known in the Enchanted Forest.

I smiled a little to myself. Despite my raging hatred towards the rulers, villagers and guards of The Enchanted Forest, I quite liked the actual forest. That forest was my real home. I felt at peace with the luscious greenery and the birds and all the animals. I had no one to share it with, and I guess that's why my loneliness was permanent there.

That brings me to the encounter of Pan and The Lost Boys.

The Lost Boys were simply just boys. They acted like boys and behaved like boys. They were all welcoming, well besides Luke, but that's just how he was. It's not like he specifically resents me - he resents everything and everyone in general.

As for Pan, he sure did make you want to feel like you belonged, but I'm sure it's just for his own benefit and no one else's. He was planning something that no one knew about except himself. Pan is a manipulative, mind-tricking boy that you could easily fall prey into his masculine hands.

The Lost Boys are his puppets, and me? He wants to add me to his wooden toys collection. That's just how he is.

My mind drifted over to the magic I supposedly have within me and my breath hitched in my throat at the thought of it.

It was probably the only thing that terrified me to no end.

However, curiosity is a lethal weapon. Shakily, I reached for the fire crackling in front of me.

My fingers were exposed as the rest of my hand and arm were concealed by the thick material of my dark green cloak.

I drew in a sharp breath and focused on the way the fire moved. I slowly moved my fingers to the left and my eyes widened in fascination and fear as the fire moved to the left with my fingers.

"How's dinner going?"

I abruptly pulled my hand back to the rest of my body and turned around to look at Connor as he stood watching me with a smile. I inwardly thanked the heavens that he did not notice what I just did.

Pan kept it a secret for a reason, and this was probably the only thing I wanted to obey him for. Peter is a clever boy, so if he thinks that my absurd magic ought to be kept a secret, then a secret it shall be.