Chapter 1: Contract with Shadow

It was autumn, the Okazaki's castle was surrounded by trees and many of these trees now had their red and yellow leaves, sometimes even oranges. They fell with the gentle breeze, so soft that sometimes it was only perceived with a soft touch on their faces.

              It was a beautiful view of the castle on the right side of the bridge, the trees circling the castle. The courtyard was agitated, some soldiers were talking, some maids ran with basins in their hands. It seemed to be a typical normal day in that castle, but not so much, there was a murmur that Ieyasu Tokugawa, the lord of that castle was hiring someone.

              One person heard the murmurs, Inahime. Inahime, was a young onna bugeisha, a samurai woman, trained with the code bushido since her five years of age, by her biological father, the great and powerful Tadakatsu Honda. Very skillful and of great intelligence, Ieyasu Tokugawa began to take care of her and decided to adopt her as a daughter. Ina, more than honored, accepted. Her real father was still alive at the time, and he was very proud that his lord wanted to adopt his daughter.

              The Honda's clan has always been a very respected clan in Japan, of noble family and with important ancestors who served directly as adviser to the Emperor, Ieyasu saw in Ina a great opportunity for her, adopting a Honda gave him more status and also the right about her, like her other daughters, about choosing whom to marry or not.

              But over the years he became more and more affectionate to Ina, gaining his affection and fondness. Ieyasu and Ina have a good relationship, truly as father and daughter. And she has been a good retainer for him, even though she was still very young, she knew how to listen and advise when he needed an opinion about his future deeds.

             That day, Inahime was in a corner of the courtyard, behind the castle, where there was a training camp where she was training with her bow. She was skilled with some weapons, such as katana and naginata, but the bow was her passion and she was a master, rarely lost a shot. She heard a close murmur. Two soldiers talking about a mysterious figure who had entered Ieyasu's room. How could she not see it?

             Ina listened intently, they talked about a possible hiring. So he must be a soldier or ... Her mind stopped for a moment, the bow in her hand, the arrow attached to the bow. Her eyes fixed on the men whispering in the background. He could be a shinobi. But who would he be?

             Ieyasu had many shinobi working for him, including a cousin who had trained the arts of ninjutsu and kenjutsu, Itakura Shigemune, who is one of the people Ieyasu trusts and admires most. Ina had grown up with him in the castle. Shigemune became Ieyasu's page when he was 14 and she 12, little older than Ina, grew up with her and sometimes trained together.

             Now he needed another shinobi? Why that? Her mind was filled with ideas about it, curiosity growing stronger. Did he want another bodyguard? Oh maybe, after all Momochi Sandayu, who was his bodyguard, became her brother's shinobi, Hidetada.

             She quickly placed the arrow in the quiver on her back and propped her bow on the wooden stand made for it. She took out the quiver and placed it beside it and looked toward the castle. With her bright and determined violet eyes she decided to find out who the mysterious man was and what her father wanted with him.

              The quick, but elegant strides, Ina headed toward the castle, beautiful, was considered one of the most beautiful women in Japan, although so young, but even though she was young, she was experienced in battles and was already a young warrior.

              Her black hair was a contrast to her pale skin. Her violet eyes were very rare and somehow always drew everyone's attention around her. She had admirable qualities, which the Tokugawa's warriors admired. If she were his real daughter, she might have a chance to be his successor, since she had the charisma and strength the warriors needed.