Chapter 20: Promises

Masayuki's lips curved into a shrewd smile, he knew he was facing a shinobi at Chiyome' skills, even though Sasuke though very skilled might not have the same skills as him.

"So let's do this." Masayuki looked at Yukimura. "You'll have the army ready to attack, but wait for Otsu-sama to signal you. Let's get this side of Hojo's army into the woods. But how are you going to get them there?" his eyebrow raised as he looked at Masayasu.

"I need a bait, one brave enough to put your life on the line." Masayasu spoke looking at Masayuki with a really serious expression.

"I'll do it. I'm quick and I'm sure I can tease some warriors that will bring their allies into the forest." Ryouma spoke giving Masayasu a wink.

"I'm going with him." Ina said.

Masayasu looked at her with a slightly surprised look. "I don't want you to get involved in this battle, it's too risky because I don't know how many warriors will go that way, it may only be a quarter of the army, but it may come more than that." he said.

Ina smiled softly when she saw a flicker of concern in his eyes. She knew he would really be worried, but she couldn't cross her arms and wait. She wanted to help in some way.

"A woman near the forest can get attention. And I want to help, even if I can't fight with you." Ina said.

"Sorry, Chie. This time I can't allow it. In the main battle I can't stop you from fighting, but this one is too risky, just shinobi and Ryouma."

Masayasu spoke and saw Ina's intense eyes looking at him. She was serious, he could tell she was worried about him, that she didn't want to let him fight with the other shinobi in this forest, but he couldn't risk her in this forest, it would be too dangerous for her.

"Ok I understand." Ina just answered with a concerned look and looked at the map. Masayasu stared at her for a while and then looked at Masayuki.

"Ryouma is going to be the bait then, but you need to cause them trouble and bring as much as you can into the forest, slowly they will realize that their colleagues are fighting and will join them."

Masayasu then looked at Ryouma to confirm that it was ok. Ryouma looked at Ina quickly but saw that she was normal, didn't look upset, so he just nodded to see Masayasu looking at him. He didn't know if he was being hard on Ina or not. She just wanted to help.

Yukimura watched Ina in silence. She didn't look shaken, but he couldn't tell how she was feeling. He could see that she wanted to help, he had this in common with her, so he could understand that feeling of hers. Their eyes met and she smiled softly at him. That smile brought a flame in his heart, he would like to fight beside her, at least in this battle.

"Chie-san can stay in the army with me. She can help me lead the army."

Yukimura suggested unexpectedly looking at Masayuki now. Everyone looked at Yukimura. He was determined to fight this battle and show his potential, a potential he had only shown in small battles.

Masayuki saw a glint in his son's gaze, saw the same determination he had in winning a battle, and then nodded in agreement with his idea.

"Okay, I'll allow it, Chie-san. You will accompany Yukimura with the army, will attack with him if the army that your husband is attacking is not partially wounded or killed. We need to take down as many warriors here. You are archer, right?" Masayuki asked.

"Yes. I will prepare extra arrows, I can take down many warriors with my bow."

Ina spoke firmly. Her face now seemed lit with determination, she could show her skills in battle and be useful. Masayasu stared at her. He couldn't stop her from fighting, he just didn't want her to get hurt, it was risky with a bigger enemy army.