Chapter Five - THESE Are Suburbs? (JASON)

[Hi! 'Nother chapter coming your way RIGHT NOW! Duh moment, I know... Just FYI, my writing style is strictly open. I can't force myself to write. I have amazing moments of incredible creativity and amazing moments of incredible sleepiness, or hungryness, or not-writing-ness. So, that's the reason I can't update regularly. So, yeah... On with le story!]

Could I just die of embarrassment?

If I said that all out loud- actually, you know what? I'm not going to even think about it.

I can't believe it, though; I'm in England! I always loved the sound of England, but I'm not a big fan of the weather so far. My Polartec jacket isn't very good against the wind and rain. Addison seems right at home, strolling down the street like she hasn't a care in the world.

"So, where are we? Like, where in England?" I ask. It doesn't look too fancy or anything, but it's nice enough. The streets are nearly completely empty, except for some dull colored cars crawling down to our right.

"Suburbs of London," she replies, not even looking left or right before crossing the road. I jog to catch up with her.

"Doesn't look very suburb-y," I say, looking at the apartments and fast food restaurants.

"Just 'cause your suburbs are green gardens, white picket fencing, and god knows what other clichéd 'American movie' styles, doesn't mean England is. Anyway, this is the centre of the town. We're a bit of a walk from home, so just chill your beans, and don't walk close enough to make us look like a couple."

Wow. That was a bit harsh. I focus on the scenery instead. It's kind of nice, in a 'non-green' way. Like, the actual restaurants smell amazing, and I can imagine the people round here coming on a nice, sunny day with kids for a picnic or something. Addison's not slowing down at all, and I hope I don't look like some weird stalker, following her and stuff. I'm thinking about whether or not I should break out the granola bars when she stops so suddenly I crash into her, almost toppling us both onto the road.

She straightens us both and tuts. "Car coming, genius. Wake up from dreamy-land, already!"

"Damn, you're infuriating. You always like this?" I ask.

"Of course I am. Don't start thinking you're special," she retorts, raising her eyebrows at me.

"I thought I was! Or was that just some way of making me come?"

That came out whinier than I'd meant. I sound like a kid who's been told he can't have ice cream 'til he's eaten his greens.

She rolls her eyes at me. "It wasn't my idea! Not to offend you or anything, though. Just stop being so... far away. We're almost back now."

Is it just me, or was that a flash of pity I saw in her eyes? Maybe this girl does have some human emotions. Still out of my league, but hey, why not have some hope? I mean, if she doesn't have a boyfriend already.

"We're here," she says, stopping and turning to me. It's a semi-detached, with a garage to the side. The gate looks a bit dodgy, and sure enough, when Addison opens it, it creaks and groans and squeaks before landing, somewhat lopsided, on the sidewalk, now only half attached to the hinge.

"Needs a bit of, um... doing up?" I ask as she lifts it back into place. "Is it, you know, like a TARDIS?"

She looks at me, amused. "Well, I wouldn't put it like that. More... James Bond basement."

"So... not bigger on the inside than the outside?" I say, kind of off-put.

"How about you find out for yourself?" she replies, a gleam in her eyes.

"I don't have a k-" I'm cut off by a jingle as she holds out a bunch to me.

"Guess," she says, barely containing the laughter on her face.

Great. Some sort of test. Something tells me I can't just put each one in the lock and hope for the best. But I also get the feeling it's not on the bunch she's holding out to me. Something about the fact she can't control her laughter well. But maybe she's double-bluffing me? Wait. Stop over-thinking this. I take the bunch of keys from her hand, and look over each one. They're all different shapes and sizes, but I can tell already something's up; this is not where the right key is. So where is the one I need?

I look up and down the path again. I look down at my feet and mutter, "No way is it that simple..." I take a step back and pick up the welcome mat. Sure enough, there's the key. I turn to face Addison. She looks at me, a genuinely impressed expression on her face. She claps silently.

"Well done, you passed our test," she says sarcastically. "You watch movies."

"How many people try these?" I ask, holding up the bunch in my hand.

"You'd be surprised," she replies. "Now, you want to see the house, or what?"

I sigh as I turn and place the key in the lock.

{EOC}

Wow, this took a while. My brain is burning right now. It BURNZZZ. Like, really. I need some headache medicine. Like, right now. Ouchie, my headie... So, this is more or less as much as I can write at the moment. Comment, vote, share and add to your library if you enjoyed, etc., etc., etc. Peace out.

P.S.
I only just looked, and holy crumpets, I've written five whole pages (on iPad version, that is). But five! Whoa...