Chapter Twenty-One - I Just Don't Know (JASON and THE ELDER)

[I'm still psyched about 1k reads. Duh. But now, I have 1.09k reads! Yay! My school friends will probably get bored of me pretty soon XD. But it's an achievement I'm going to cherish forever. And ever. And ever. And- well, you get the point...]

{JASON}

"Sorry guys. Hedgehog," says Addison.

As Addison walks away, I raise my hand in a sarcastic wave, grinning widely. She just rolls her eyes and flashes a smile at me. Callum whispers, "Nice flirting, dude."

I feel some heat on my face and he nudges my shoulder in appreciation.

"I'm not flirting!" I mutter, frowning.

"If I'd done that, she'd've thumped a dent in my skull. In fact-" he motions to our little group, "she'd've thumped a dent in any of our skulls. Well, maybe not Lucas, if he were here. Mainly cause he's already got a big enough one from Les."

"She'd punch a girl in the head?"

"Tom-ato, tom-ahto. She likes you. Deal with it," he says with a shrug.

"This is the best she's been since the War," Samantha adds. "She seems happier with you here."

"How would you even know?" I ask, determinedly thinking that they're messing with me.

"One," Samantha starts, "something bad happens to you, she instantly helps or thinks that it's her fault. She literally refused to leave your side the whole three days you were knocked out. She would've refused food and water if we hadn't insisted."

"Two," says Claire, "you're practically inseparable. I've not seen a day go by without you and her coming to breakfast together, you and her looking in the garden together, or just you and her doing something - together."

"And, last but definitely not least, three," Callum joins in, "you make her blush beyond belief. I didn't know you could blush so many times in one minute! I'm sorry, buddy-" he pauses.

"But she likes you," Claire finishes.

"A lot," adds Samantha.

That sounded rehearsed. But why would she like me? I'm nothing special. We met just over a week ago. A week. It seems ridiculous. I don't believe in that rom-com movie crud of 'love at first sight' and whatever. But if they're being serious, then I'd be-

I don't even know.

Would I be happy? On top of the world? Terrified? Confused? Meh?

Knowing me, all but the last one.

But that's not the point.

I don't know her. Well, not very well, at least. I don't know if I 'love' her. Am I just a crazy person who falls for more or less the first girl he meets? Or am I a rom-com protagonist, who takes on obstacles to 'save our doomed love' or something?

I just don't know anymore.

***

I decide to go for a walk around the base and leave the hall deep in thought. I just let my feet take me to where they want to go. I pass doors, corridors, doors, stairways, more doors, when I finally stop at a seemingly blank wall.

Suddenly, as if waking up, I realise where I am. Where my feet took me. Where I could get some help; some guidance.

I knock.

{THE ELDER}

I take a sip of the pumpkin spiced latte just as the sound of three knocks roll through the room in quick succession. I chuckle and place the cup on top of my mahogany desk. Settling back into my chair, I call out, "Come on in, Jason."

The door opens tentatively. "Uh, sir- I mean Elder?"

"Come on now, I don't bite. Not that I have the teeth to do so nowadays."

A small smile flashes onto his face. He laughs a little, but it sounds quite forced. "Got any-"

"Pumpkin spiced lattes?" I finish. He nods in assent. "Why of course. You've got me hooked on the stuff."

I swivel the chair slightly, lean down and take the pre-made latte out of a heater set into the desk. "I was wondering when you'd come by."

"What do you mean?" Jason asks, taking the steaming cup. "Are you psychic?"

"I wish!" I reply with a bark of laughter. "I'd be able to stop any fights before they start! No, it just so happens that everyone needs a bit of guidance during their first few weeks. Especially if they never knew anything about it."

He takes a long drink, eyes distant.

"So..." I pause. "What guidance do you need?"

He clears his throat. "I- uh- the thing is-" He pauses, apparently gathering his thoughts. "When I was unconscious, for the three days, I had this, uh, dream-thing."

He explains the dream: waking up in the straight jacket; the boy who looked like him; the claustrophobic sensation causing him to set alight; the throwing of the ball of fire. I listen intently.

"Is that... normal?" he asks at last. "Do people have dreams like that? The guy said that I shouldn't be able to do it, even in a dream."

"It is... peculiar. I'm an old man, but even I have never heard of or seen something like this... Not within your first moments of simply knowing about the Elements.

"Manipulation of your Element takes practice, preparation. It usually must be called upon by the mentor, first time. The use of the Element against someone - that would take - should take - months of manipulation training."

"What should I do?" he asks. He seems a little bit panicked.

"There's nothing to be afraid of. This is an incredible achievement. As for what you should do?"

I raise my eyebrows at him.

"You should train."

{EOC}

Guys, help! My cat's sitting on my gut, and I need the toilet! He is not helping! Graaaaaargh! Okay, I'm just going to be quick. Almost at 1100 reads - yay. Um, thanks for 101 votes, 102 comments also. Uh, yeah. I gots to go! C u in da nxt chptr!