#11 The challenge

Jay.

I was still fuming as I walked back.

How dare she do this to me?

Sure, I hurt her before, but it's no excuse to hide my son from me.

I hurried back to the pediatric ward and I stilled in front of the door.

My heart hammered inside me as I thought of my son.

My son is here...my own flesh and blood.

The fact that I have a baby was not something I could wrap my head around anytime soon.

I took a deep breath and entered the ward.

But before I could reach the bed someone grabbed my hand from behind.

"Jaydev please..." Anya pleaded with me, "he is too young to understand this, you should give him time," she said, "he's not ready for this, please..."

I shook her off again.

"I can't wait any longer, you hide him from me long enough," I said and took the few remaining steps and drew the curtain open.

"Papa..."

My heart trembled at his weak voice. He was half-asleep, his eyelids were drooping, but it looked like he was trying to fight the tiredness and waiting for me.

"Pa...pa..."

I felt Anya going around me to his side.

"Shh...It's...it's okay, Lucky, he...he won't leave..." Anya's voice was overlayed by emotion. She caressed his head. "Go to...sleep..." she sniffed slightly.

Lucky was still looking at me and I moved forward as if in a daze. I took his little hand in mine and looked at him, trying to smile even as the room blurred and my heart ached.

"I...I am here, I won't leave, be a good boy and go to sleep..." I said gently.

His lips curved slightly to a half-smile before he closed his eyes.

I looked at the small hand inside mine. Tenderness filled me.

Even though it was the first time I am meeting my son, I could feel the connection.

I watched him in wonder. He looked like a mini version of me and I felt a tug in my heart.

This little guy is mine!

Even though gran often asks me to get married and have children, I had never thought about it before.

My world was always around the regrets I had. I knew that I needed to keep everything straight with Aryan and Anya for me to have peace.

And I wanted to get Anya back at all costs, but never in my wildest dreams had I thought of being a father.

I looked at Lucky's sleeping face and kissed his forehead gently.

He's mine!

"Tell me about my son," I said without looking at Anya who was standing anxiously on the other side of the bed.

"His name is Lakshya, I call him Lucky," she said and I looked at her, "because he's the reason I am able to live today, he's my reason to live," she said. "I can't let anyone take him away-"

"I asked you about my son," I said firmly.

"Lucky is 3 years old, he goes to the playschool nearby and he is left-handed," she stopped.

And I looked at her again.

"Yeah, like you," she said softly.

"Does Aryan know about him?"