Chapter 4 | Someones Gotta Help Me Dig |

Emma jerks awake to the sound of knocking on her door. It's still dark out. Roman enters her room. "I'm leaving come lock the door behind me. He doesn't wait on a response so she follows him down the stairs. He hesitates before opening the door. "Please don't tell anyone what I told you, about Letha."

"I would never." He nods and steps outside and to his car without looking back.

....

A paper ball hits her head, it came from Roman's direction. "Fuck you," She mouths and flips him off.

"Pass it to Peter." He mouths back. She hands it up to him and peers over his should as he opens it. Can I watch?

Emma looks over to Roman, eyes squinting, confused by his question. Roman smirks back to her. "Is there something interesting happening that we're all missing, Miss Parker?" The teacher calls from her desk. Emma shakes her head. "Mr. Godfrey?" He shakes his head as well.

Her leg bounces up and down in anticipation for the bell to ring. She has no idea what this is about, and Roman has barely spoken today which is unusual for him. She assumes he's hungover, he has to be, but even hungover Roman was more talkative. She wants to ask him about Letha, about what happened last night.

When the bell finally rings Peter quickly grabs Romans arm and pulls him to his locker. Emma eyes them from hers as she puts up her books. They speak quietly and close to one another, making it impossible to read their lips. Peter nods to Roman and walks away.

Roman sees Emma looking over and moves towards her. She meets him in the middle of the hallway. He wraps an arm around her shoulder. "We have plans tonight, tell your mom you're staying at mine."

"Are we going to watch Peter jerk off?" Roman doesn't answer, he only laughs.

...

They pull into Peter's driveway and get out of the car. The pair had sat in mostly silence for the afternoon, Roman still unwilling to explain what was happening. The sun's starting to set and a chill is moving in. Emma follows quickly behind Roman. He taps on the front door and she can hear a bit of movement within the trailer.

"Roman, I said you could come. I didn't agree to anyone else." Peter hisses to him through the half-open door. Emma feels like a third wheel looking in.

"Look, where I go, she goes," Roman shrugs. "And, she invited you to that party when no one liked you."

"You're an asshole, Godfrey. Come on." He waves to Emma and opens the door.

"What's going on?" A voice comes from the kitchen.

"Roman and Emma are here," Peter replies with a hint of annoyance in his voice.

"Emma?" The woman appears. "I didn't know an Emma was coming." She smiles at Emma and Roman.

"This is my mom, Lynda."

"I thought it was your sister." Roman smiles trying to charm the woman. She doesn't buy it.

"It's nice to meet both of you, even under the circumstances."

"It's nice to meet you too." Emma smiles.

They stand in awkward silence for a moment until Peter asks if they want to sit. They sit on the couch together. "So, what're your plans after graduation?" She asks. taking a seat across from them.

"My mom will probably bribe my way into wherever she wants me to go." Roman shrugs as if that were a normal thing to say.

"You'll take over the family business I assume?" She asks Roman and he nods. Lynda looks at Emma.