Neal

Caren, I don't want to be the one to tell you this. I really don't, but if I don't I know someone else will. I plan how to say it in my head, which is harder than it seems because I am being jostled around even when I am strapped to the chair. "Caren I, um, you know how you came from Earth?" I sound so horrible right now, this is not going to plan at all. "Um, well Earth is kind of in danger, it's, uh-" I'm cut short by Caren, surely she hates me now.

"What do you mean? How is it in danger? What's going on?" She looks so upset now, I have no idea what to say to her. And then the bus driver butts in. Who taught him his manners?

"Are you telling the new girl about Earth and how it's going to explode in like a year?" How abrupt. Why does he have to speak? Caren looks devastated. I feel so bad.

"What?! Why didn't you tell me? We have to go back! I have to tell my family, I have to help them, please!" She's crying now. This girl's not dumb. She knows that the driver is telling the truth. Caren leaps up out of her seat and nearly falls over the row of chairs in front of us. In instinct, I grab her and force her to sit up again. She pushes me and breaks free, so I wrap my arms around her and hold her still as she sobs into my arms.