Neal

Caren saw a star whizz by the window and was startled by the light. She leapt backwards from the window and fell onto me, then onto the floor. I help her back onto the chair, and Alex sneers. Alex needs to cut her some slack. It's not like she's reacting to a star for the eighth time (Claryssa). The poor girl didn't even believe in magic until twenty minutes ago. I can see some of the buildings outside of our school. There is a bright blue one that looks like the teacher's meeting room, but I can never remember. It's a sort of cube shape with the tiniest windows you could ever have. The building next to that is the detention tower. It's bathed in an iridescent purple light and seems to be more distorted than usual. I know the detention tower well, and it's not even like I get in trouble often, but I do break my friend Matt Sharp out of there at least twice a week. The red rock is a place where we send dangerous things, or people. Once in a while, a stranger happens to find our school and they just happen to be able to use masked magic, which disguises them as a student until they take someone's life, and then they get thrown into jail.

It's horrible. I once knew someone who got taken there because they were mentally sick. His name was something complicated that no one could remember. Nowadays he goes by the name Black Death. He still sends me letters and things like gifts, but I know not to trust murderers. He was the first person who ever managed to kill a student. That student was a fifteen year old boy who I used to idolize. Tom. He had everything, good looks, a girlfriend, money, an actual brain, unlike Luke, and he was popular. He was my brother. I have nothing, except for a pretty partner. Although if someone like Black Death ever comes along again, I'm sure I won't be on the top of their hit list. Which gives me an opportunity to avenge Tom.