Chapter 24

Flashback Continues...

Phoebe Point of View

It's such a bright atmosphere with people chatting, dancing, drinking and laughing freely. Many influential people we could only see in news with their brooding expressions are now completely transformed into smiling gentlemen.

Everyone are happy, at least they are skillful enough to look happy. Nobody showed on their faces, what problems they were going through. The tensions, the pressure, everything was completely and very expertly hidden behind their delightful smiles.

My mind went to the time when I first saw my Nicco in the auction more than a decade ago. When I remember that moment I couldn't help myself from smiling. My first impression on him was, though he was very handsome I thought he would be wild and uncaring.

To my utter shock and relief, he turned out completely opposite.

All these years with him, I had gone through many transformations of life with him. He was always there for me in good and bad.

He was like a brother when he scolded me for doing something wrong.

Like a father, he always guided me through thick and thin.

Like a lover he made me a woman.

He was my friend when he made me laugh.

And a rival to push me forward, beyond my limits.

It would be a girl's good fortune to have a person like Nicco in her life. I was that person, but not anymore.

I noticed him laughing with his friends and colleagues while having a drink. Laura was there too having fun with the group.

"Are you not going to tell him yet?" I heard a familiar voice. I shook my head without turning my head.

"No. Not now. Anyway, what was all that about?" I asked back to which she responded with a scowl and a terrified look. "You didn't know about his plans to get engaged with you tonight, do you?"

Sienna nodded her head slowly biting her lip nervously. "I don't. I don't know why he made such a mess of a situation, Phoebe. Till an hour ago he was after me insulting and overloading me with work load and now suddenly he proposed a relationship with me without even consulting with me. Argh, what do we do with these men, Phoebe. Why is it so tough for us to be happy and accept normal things in life?"

I gave her a sad smile and handed her a glass of fruit punch, gulping one myself. Sienna looked like she lost a lot of weight in just few hours from when I saw her this morning. She is nervous, worried and angry. I can see that.

Why would Leonardo Bianchi do that to her?

He is known to have a status stricken mindset then why would he go and publicly announce his engagement with a poor secretary of his?

"I think he likes you but doesn't know how to express it. But then again, relationship with him is not good for you if you ask me." I answered truthfully even though I sounded rude. I don't want another girl grieving for lost love.

Sienna nodded her head understanding my point, "Nicco was a very supportive man and lovely human being, still look where I am. I am suffering from the separation. Leonardo is not a very supportive person according to me. He has very low opinion on women in general and women like us are lesser than dirt to him. It would be wonderful if you could be the reason for changing his opinion but Sienna dear, a tread in a candle has to burn itself to give light. I do not want you to be the thread to burn yourself for someone else's enlightenment."