12

"I am not the only traveler
Who has not repaid his debt
I've been searching for a trail to follow again
Take me back to the night we met

And then I can tell myself
What the hell I'm supposed to do
And then I can tell myself
Not to ride along with you

I had all and then most of you
Some and now none of you
Take me back to the night we met
I don't know what I'm supposed to do
Haunted by the ghost of you
Oh, take me back to the night we met."

Lord Huron - The Night We Met

The next day, her first priority had been removing herself from the neighborhood that he occupied.  The last thing she wanted to do was to run into him and have another awkward conversation, so she arranged to rent a room with an Airbnb couple who were renting out a room in their home across the city.

From the first evening she'd gotten settled into her temporary room to the next couple of nights as she'd eaten dinner with her hosts, she began speaking with Draco more and more.  He'd been a good friend to her while she'd been trying to figure out things with regards to James.  They'd spoken little in the past couple of weeks, but he'd been patient and not pushy, giving her the space he'd said he would.

Finally, one evening as she sat out on the terrace alone, watching the dying embers in the firepit, she allowed herself to call him for the first time in days.

His voice in her ear was like a soothing balm, and somehow she knew everything was going to be alright.  Whether they would end up as friends or be more, she wanted him in her life going forward.  

"So how's this place compared to the hotel?"

"It's better, much better actually.  It's not ideal compared to having your own place but they're great.  What have you been up to?"

"The truth or a pretty little lie?"

She smiled and propped her feet up on the metal tile-top table in front of her and leaned back in the cushioned chair.

"Always the truth.  Wouldn't have it any other way."

"Oh," he sighed.  "You know.  Cleaning out my fridge, buying a new car, selling the manor, going for long walks.  Not sleeping well, thinking about you nonstop, struggling not to bother you, worrying you'll choose him or neither of us..."

She snorted softly and smiled to herself.  He'd always been brutally honest and she'd always appreciated that.  

"Tell me all about it, babe.  What happened?"

When she'd finished, he swore quietly and sighed.

"I'm sorry.  I really am.  I'm not sorry for him, aside from the part about his father, and I really am pissed that he fucked someone else while you were trying to make your decision.  I'd really like to go over there."

"Please don't," she chuckled, relieved that it didn't sting anymore to think about it.  "It wasn't going to work anyway."

"Why not?" he asked softly.  "Tell me why it wasn't going to work?"

"I think you know why."

"Nonetheless, I'd kill to hear you say it."

She stared out at the rooflines and up into the cloudy night sky and pulled her sweater a little tighter.  It was nearly time to go inside.

"Because I'd have always loved you more."

"Just one more thing and I'll let it go for tonight...past tense or present?"