25 [N]

another miserable day for jack. it was now day seventeen of ignoring zach and he was dying. he tried so hard not to touch his other phone to see what zach was sending him. he tried so hard to ignore zach in the hallways and in lunch, and the butterflies he got every time the rosy cheeked boy was present.

however, zach hurt him. he said he would never date him. all jack could ask himself was: why? why wouldn't he? was it his nose ring? his face? his hair?

or was it the fact that zach didn't even know who he was?

but jack was scared. zach liked another guy, he didn't want to ruin their amazing friendship. he began to think that this whole pickup line thing was a terrible idea.

he needed advice, from one of his other friends, which was why he called jonah. he always got serious when he needed to and gave the best advice.

when he finally saw a tall figure approach him at the park, a small smile appeared on jack's face.

"hi, jo," he greeted, giving him a bro hug.

"jack." jonah smiled. "what's up?"

the smile on jack's face was replaced by a frown and a heavy sigh. "nothing much." he shrugged and looked at the ground.

"well, that's not true. we haven't seen you in a while, are you good?" he asked, having a seat on the park bench.

"no." jack trailed off and sat beside jonah. "um, you know how i like boys right?" he only received a nod. "well, there's this boy who i've been texting anonymously . ."

he began to tell him everything, from the pickup lines to the fact that the boy was zach. jonah didn't seem surprised, he sort of expected it.

"and i don't know if i should just tell him that it's me or stop texting him at all." jack pursed his lips and slouched his back.

"hm." jonah thought, his hands in the pockets of his shorts. "i actually don't think you should stop texting him. jack, if he's been messaging you that means he cares. answer his texts, i'm sure he didn't mean to hurt you. sometimes zach says things he doesn't mean, and you know that."

jack remained silent, only listening to jonah speak.

"and you really should tell him that you're, you know, jack," he continued. "i understand that it can affect your friendship, but you didn't think of that when you first started to send pickup lines, did you?"

" . . no."

"your actions have consequences. your intentions were to get zach's attention, and you did. now what?"

" . . i don't know."

"well, you gotta figure it out, then. answer his messages, and tell him you're jack. but you gotta trust me when i say this, it will not ruin your friendship." jonah stood up and looked down at him with a smile. "i gotta go meet corbyn, now. keep me updated, okay? and if you ever need anything else, i'm here."

"thanks, jo." jack hugged him.

on the way back home, he thought. how was jonah so sure that his friendship with zach wasn't going to be ruined?

maybe it was the fact that jonah had heard both sides of the story already. he knows that both zach and jack have a thing for each other.

but, of course, neither of them knew that.