28 [N]

jack made his way to the park, his eyes focused on his moving feet. he blamed his sweaty hands on the heat of the may weather. he had no idea what he was going to say to zach. what can he say? oh, yeah, i've liked you since sophomore year and never had the guts to tell you until now. 

well, that wasn't entirely true. jack still did not want to tell zach that it was him this whole time. he wanted his identity to be kept a secret from the other brunette. but it was going to get out sooner or later. 

he let out a shaky breath as he approached the swings, sitting on the one closer to the pole. it was seven o'clock exactly, zach was probably barely on his way. he was never on time anyway.

jack waited for minutes that felt like hours until he finally heard footsteps near him. he looked up and met zach's eyes.

"oh, hi, jack," he said, slouching subtly.

"zach-"

"i thought you were somebody else." he sighed and sat on the swing next to jack's. what if the mystery guy never came?

"what?"

"remember the pickup line guy i told you about a long time ago?" he began, swinging back and forth lightly.

jack nodded.

"well, he said to meet him here but no one else is at the park besides little five year olds." zach pursed his lips to the side and looked at the ground. "and frankly, i don't think he's a five year old," he joked, chuckling lightly.

jack let out a humph with a smile, avoiding eye contact with the other boy. zach had no idea.

"what if he lied?" zach spoke, catching jack's attention. "what if he doesn't show up and i'm here looking like a fool?" he ran a hand through his brown hair. "i guess i wouldn't blame him, though. i have said some horrible things to him before."

"no, he did show up." jack's voice was small and his hands were sweating like crazy.

this was it.

"what? how do you know?" he asked, looking at the curly haired boy with furrowed eyebrows.

"zach." jack looked at him, tilting his head.

he still wasn't getting it.

jack sighed and swallowed hard. "zach, are you from tennessee?"

"what? no, i'm-"

"'cause you're the only ten i see."

zach sat there, processing the moment. he tilted his head and squinted his eyes until he finally got it. it was jack. he was the guy sending him pickup lines. 

"you're-?"

"noodles?" jack grabbed a chunk of his curly hair. zach gasped.

"it was you?!" zach stood up, trying to keep his voice as low as possible. he didn't want to get everyone else's attention. "this whole time you were the one texting me?"

jack only nodded, not thinking of words to say.

"i can't believe this." zach looked at the ground. "here i was, thinking it was a whole other person, when really it was my best friend." he shook his head and bit his bottom lip.

"zach, i'm sorry, i-"

"why didn't you just tell me?" he asked, his eyebrows mimicking a sad expression. 

"i didn't want to ruin our friendship," jack mumbled, kicking the wood chips on the ground. 

zach was silent as he stood in front of the shorter male. how did he not realize that it was jack this whole time?

he sighed. "i gotta go." the boys made eye contact. 

jack only responded with a nod and watched as his crush walked away, not knowing what was going inside his head. 

zach had a plan. hopefully a good one.