2. Second day

Draco woke up with a start, sitting up. It took him a few seconds to realize where he was. When he did, he slowly laid back down, letting out a long sigh. He had no idea what today would bring, or tomorrow, or whatever else in the future. It burdened his heart like a constant physical weight.

He wondered if he had really made the right decision. He had no one to turn to. And he was just gone for one day and one night. His family would still welcome him with open arms if he just told them he needed time to think or something. That it had not been his intention to run away. But there was another guest in the Manor now. How would he react? But at least Draco would not die yet.

Draco had still not decided whether to continue his journey or go back home when he was sitting on the breakfast table with the whole Weasley family, except for Mr Weasley, who had already gone to work.

Now that he had talked to Bill about it, he noticed the tension between Fleur and Mrs Weasley, together with Ginny. But from what Draco perceived, the dislike was mutual. If Fleur wanted her future mother in law to approve, maybe she should stop criticizing her cooking.

The table fellowship was completely different from what Draco was used to. Everyone was talking, enjoying their meal quite messily. Despite them all distrusting Draco, there was barely tension, except for this women's feud, and no forced small talk.

Mrs Weasley kept sending Draco worried looks throughout the meal. "Come here. Have another toast. Aunt Muriel did the jam. Not the friendliest woman, but her jam is delicious. You need to eat more, dear." She shoved several plates and glasses towards Draco, who was a bit overwhelmed but did as she told.

"I still don't understand what he's doing here." Draco heard a whisper from his left side. He did not have to turn to know who it was. It was funny if Harry Potter really thought he was quiet.

It turned out Ron was not any better. "I don't know. But something is fishy. Like you said last night. The Malfoy we know would not go anywhere near the Burrow. Or a house that doesn't look at least like a castle."

"Come on, Ron." Harry said, jest obvious in his tone. "The Burrow looks like the fanciest castle I've ever seen." There was a feminine giggle. Draco had always wondered if Ginny and Potter had something going on. He remembered he embarrassing Valentine's day message in second year. At this time, Potter did not seem very delighted. But they all were older now. Maybe Potter could handle love messages from pretty girls better now.

Draco dared to glance over at the trio. To his surprise, he was met by piercing green eyes. Both boys looked away quickly. Suddenly feeling even more awkward, Draco started looking around the room. He had seen it all yesterday, the wooden ceiling, the low beams, the lively pictures portraying the Weasleys through different ages, the clock that showed the family member's whereabouts, the brick fireplace, the brown, old sofas and armchairs, the long table illuminated by daylight shining through the window behind him, the burned spots on the wooden floor...

It was overall chaotic and cramped, but somehow... comfortable. Welcoming.

It was nothing against the comfort his own home provided, of course. Although Draco was not sure if he was ever going to return to that.

After breakfast, everyone helped clearing the table and Fred was on dishwashing duty. Hesitantly, Draco approached Mrs Weasley. It was probably the best if he left as early as possible. He would be out of the Weasley's hair and he had more time to find another accommodation for the next night. Or maybe even something more permanent.

"Umm... Mrs Weasley?" Draco asked the woman who was just done scolding Fred for his bad dishwashing job. "Ma'am?"

"Oh, Draco." Mrs Weasley turned to him, laying an arm around him and directing him to the sofa. "Don't call me Ma'am, Mrs Weasley is just fine." She laughed and sat down on the armchair. "I wanted to talk to you anyways."