Chapter Fourteen

After what seemed like hours I push myself up from the grass. Slowly I walk down the hill that leads to the house, that leads to Bucky, Steve, and Tony. Part of me isn't ready to talk to them yet, but the other part of me needs to make sure Bucky is ok again. 

Even though it has been nearly a year since HYDRA, I hate being away from Bucky. If I'm not with him I don't know if he is ok, I don't know if he will be hurt. I just don't know. 

After walking the cute farmhouse appears in distance, I can see a figure sitting on the front step to the porch with his head in his hands. I start to walk faster in curiosity. Once I get closer I can unmistakably see that person as Bucky. 

I slowly sit down next to him and he looks over to me. His eyes are red and his cheeks are tears stained. His hair is pulled back into a loose bun and his chest raises unevenly. 

He moves his metal arm and brings it around my shoulder pulling me towards him slightly. I lean my head against his shoulder and he slowly rubs my arm. 

"You know we will figure this out, right?" Bucky says, his voice slightly hoarse, presumably from crying. 

"What if we don't?" I ask, my voice breaking slightly at the end of my sentence. I pull my knees closer to my chest and bury my head farther into Bucky's shoulder. 

"We can't worry about that. We just have to work our hardest to make sure that we do figure it out. Besides, Tony, Steve, Clint, and the other Avengers will help us out. Tony probably already has a case built for us and is talking to his lawyers. I know it is scary right now, heck I'm just as scared as you," I feel Bucky's other hand move to my head and his finger slowly tangling through my hair. The warm breeze surrounds us and the chirping of birds fill our ears. 

But the feeling of fear fills my chest and my heart. Bucky and I didn't want to hurt people, we didn't try to kill people. It was either kill or be killed... actually we didn't even have the option of death, it was far worse than it. 

"Hey, buddy, let's go inside and talk to Tony and Steve about our options, yeah?" Bucky whispers and slowly pulls away from me. I nod and push myself into a standing position, following Bucky through the doors. 

Steve and Tony are sitting on a couch across from Clint, Laura is probably playing with the kids or something. I take a seat next to Steve and Bucky sits on the other side of me, putting a hand on my shoulder. Steve gives me a quick side hug and I return it. 

I look up to Tony and Steve, "What is going to happen to us? Please tell me the truth. I can handle it," I say confidently. I would rather know the full truth and be even more sacred than the half-truth and be alright. 

Tony takes in a sharp breath and looks to Bucky who nods, "This is the best option, you two go to court. I have some of the best lawyers ever and I am confident we could win the case. Your only other option as well, to hide from them forever." I flinch slightly and so does Bucky and Steve.

"What happens if we lose the case?" I ask and move slightly closer to Bucky who kisses the top of my head. 

Clint looks over to the two of us, "Y-you could at best have a life sentence without parole and at worst face the-the," Clint takes a deep breath and looks at the ground, "Death penalty." I gasp and lock eyes with Bucky. His eyes are shining with tears and he quickly pulls me into a hug, running his hand over my head whispering soothing phrases to me. 

"Hey, it'll be ok. We won't let that happen. I promise ok?" Steve says placing a hand on my back I nod slowly not moving my head from Bucky's shoulder. 

... 

The blankets are pulled up to my chin and my head rests against Bucky's chest. I stare blankly at the ceiling. Court? I would have to talk about it. I would have to answer lawyers questions who want nothing more but for me to rot in a jail cell. 

I feel Bucky shifting under the covers and murmuring something to himself. 

"Bucky?" I say sitting up and placing my hand where my head was. 

He flies up in bed and lets out a loud scream, his body shaking. Tears stream out of his wide eyes and he moves to hug me. I rub my hand over his back.

"It's ok Bucky, I'm here, we are at Clint's. We are ok." 

I wished I believed in my own words.