Chapter Sixteen

Bucky and I sit in our bed, our shoulders pressed against each other. We are watching TV. Netflix actually, thank goodness he doesn't have normal TV otherwise we would be hearing about us and how terrible we are on every channel. The others are talking to Ms. Rickards at the moment. 

She needed to ask them questions about us. Questions, I hate them. I always know the answer but never want to say it never want to talk about it. But I have to. If I don't answer the questions I seem even worse. 

"Hey Bucky, can I show you something?" Bucky nods and I stand up walking down the halls and the steps then through the front doors. We walk in silence and take in our surroundings. Once I come to the place with the single punching bag. Bucky looks over to me and I smile back. Then we start punching it.

I go for a while and then we switch. After we are both sweating we layout under the grass and talk and laugh about random stories and topics. I tell him about the time I was walking in the hall with Ned and I slipped in the middle of the hallway and fell on my face. He laughs slightly. I smile even wider because I finally have stories to tell, a life to share. One filled with happiness and laughter. 

Together we marvel at the orange and purple sunset and watch the stars come into vision. And owl hoots and animals scamper about. The grass pricks slightly at my legs and arms and Bucky's metal hand is in mine. 

"We should go back to the house before it gets too dark," Bucky whispers. Sighing I roll over so I am facing Bucky and sit up. When Bucky sits up a loud crack is heard through the trees and he groans. "That was my back!" 

I laugh, loud and happily, "You're an old man!" I exclaim. Bucky stands up and together we walk back to the house pointing at different plants and animals we see along the way. Once we reach the house we both walk in to find the others sitting around in the living room. 

Except they don't look happy or like they are having fun. They look stressed and worried, sad and angry. Tony is leaning forward so his elbows rest on his knees and his chin is in his hand. Steve is standing in the corner with his arms crossed and Clint's head is resting against Laura's shoulder. Natasha is standing behind the chair with Clint and Laura in it, her hand on the back of it. 

Bruce is standing behind the couch with his hands rested on his hips. When Bucky and I walk in everyone turns to look at us. Tony's eyes are filled with regret and pity, as he opens his mouth to talk I inch closer to Bucky, "When the files where released, fortunately just your names and papers where released. Ms. Rickards got a call today that the persecution side... found... videos. Found videos of  you killing people on missions," 

I gasp and look up to Bucky. His eyes are teary and he puts a protective arm around my shoulder and pulls me into the side, "H-how do we counter that?" Bucky asks worriedly. 

"We are proving that you were forced to kill and if you didn't carry out the crime your consequences would be worse than death. The problem with this is they don't know the real HYDRA, in the eyes of the court, death is the worst one can do," Steve answered, "But we don't have any evidence of what they did to you." 

"The scars," I say firmly. 

"Peter..." Steve says trailing off. 

"It's the only proof," Bucky responds looking down at me. 

...

The courthouse is huge. Their are two small tables, one with three chairs and the other with one for the prosecuting lawyer. The judge has a large table in the front with witness chairs on the side. On one side is the Bibble and the bailiff who swears people in. Behind that are large rows for people to watch. On the side of the room is the jury. The room is lined with tall windows.

The Avengers sit behind our table, Steve and Tony the closest to us and the others around them. Bucky and I sit next to Ms. Rickards. On the table are her notes and papers. The persecution lawyer is short and her hair is blonde. 

"The jury has reached a verdict," The judge speaks from the front of the room. I hear everyone's hearts racing and eyes locked to hers. Bucky and I are squeezing each other's hand.

"Guilty." The room seems to freeze. 

The world seems to freeze. 

"However, Mr. Parker is a juvenile and will be sentenced to life without parole. Mr. Buchanan though is sentenced to death."