The One

"Ready for bed, Monkey?" Chloe Decker asked, sitting on the end of her daughter's bed. Trixie hopped in and snuggled her tiny body underneath the comforter and pillows. 

Chloe shifted through a pile of bedtime stories the girl had left on her nightstand. "Which one are we reading tonight?" Chloe asked, putting a rather short one in the hand closest to her daughter. Trixie smirked deviously and asked, "Do you want to read Cinderella because it's short and Lucifer's staying over?"

Chloe's mind blanked for a moment and a lump formed in her throat. 'How in the hell did she get so damn smart?' "No!" Chloe lied through her teeth but tried to make it seem like the notion was absurd. 

She didn't hear the deep chuckled outside of the ten year old's door. 

"It's okay Mommy. I actually don't want to read a story tonight!" Trixie giggled. 

Chloe scrunched her eyebrows and cocked her head to the side in confusion. "You don't?" Trixie's parents always read her a story before bed. This had been a tradition since they had brought their baby home from the hospital ten years ago. 

Trixie stopped and bit her lip before explaining sheepishly, "I actually, kind of, wanted you to tell me a story tonight."

"Tell you one?" Chloe asked, adjusting herself to sit next to her daughter in bed. She wrapped an arm around the small girl, letting Trixie cuddle into her side. 

"Mhmm!" Trixie nodded and scooted over to make room for her mom. She paused for a moment before gathering up the courage to ask, "How do you know when somebody is the one?"

Chloe pondered her daughter's question. "The one like, who you're going to marry?" 

Trixie nodded, her big brown eyes looking up into her mother's expectantly. 

"Where'd you get an idea like that, Monkey?"

Trixie shrugged and mumbled, "One of my friends today said that her parents have been married for fifteen years and that her dad knew her mom was the one when he met her. She said that all mommy's and daddy's say that." The girl paused and then continued, "Was Daddy the one for you? Or is Lucifer? What about Marcus?"

Chloe's eyes widened and her heart started beating sporadically at her daughter's loaded inquiry. It took her a moment to gather her thoughts. Chloe actually hadn't ever been interested in any of the "the one" stuff when she was younger. Soulmates seemed like the stuff of fairy-tales and not the real world. In reality, two people who really cared about each other entered into a partnership and joined their lives together, even creating new lives in children. 

"Well Trix, there's not really a simple answer. I loved your dad. I really did. We just didn't work out as husband and wife." Chloe and Dan had explained this many times to Trixie over the past four years through their initial separation and eventual divorce. 

That answer didn't seem to satisfy the girl though. "What does that mean? Is there only one person out there for everyone, and you have to figure out who that is and marry them? Is that why so many people get divorced? Because they haven't found the right person?"

Chloe sighed and stared at a large stuffed bear on the floor across the room, as if it would hold the answer to one of life's and her ten year old's hardest question. 

"I think," Chloe began, moving her gaze over to her daughter, "That there are a lot of 'the ones'."

This seemed to confuse the girl more so Chloe continued, "Every man I've fallen in love with has given me something different, something that would change me forever. They all left a mark on me that I think I will always be grateful for. Some good and some not so good."