CHAPTER TWO| The New Girl

WRITTEN: January 28, 2017
EDITED: May 8, 2018
WORD COUNT:  1,613

1

I parked my bike next to all the other ones. A silver car pulled up next to me with its music blaring. After shutting the engine off, the driver opened the door, hitting my bike's handlebars.

"Dude, watch the paint job," he said.

"Yo, Jackson, let's go, bro," one of his friends said. Jackson gave me one last glare before turning around and walking away. I started walking towards the school. Stiles ran up next to me, adjusting his book bag on his shoulders. I stopped walking and turned my body towards Stiles.

"Okay, let's see this thing," he said. I lift up the bottom half of my shirt, showing him the bandage on my side. Some blood was soaked through it.

Stiles grunted, "Ooh! Yeah." He poked the area and I winced. 

"It was too dark to see much, but I'm pretty sure it was a wolf," I said.

"A wolf bit you?" Stiles said, looking confused.

"Uh-huh," I hummed, nodding my head.

"No, not a chance."

"I heard a wolf howling."

"No, you didn't."

"What do you mean, 'no, you didn't'? How do you know what I heard?"

He laughed a little. "Because California doesn't have wolves. Okay? Not in like 60 years."

"Really?" I questioned.

"Yes, really. There are no wolves in California."

"All right, well, if you don't believe me about the wolf, then you're definitely not gonna believe me about when I tell you I found the body."

Stiles moved closer to me, smiling. He put his hand on my shoulder. "Are you kidding me?"

"No, man, I wish," I sighed. "I'm gonna have nightmares for a month."

"Oh, God, that's freakin' awesome. I mean, this is seriously gonna be the best thing that's happened to this town since-" Stiles's gaze was now fixed on someone behind me. "Since the birth of Lydia Martin. Hey, Lydia, you look-" She walked past us, flipping her hair over her shoulder. Stiles's eyes followed her every move. "-like you're ignore me." Stiles turned back around and glared at me. "You're the cause of this, you know," he stated, licking his lips.

"Uh-huh." I rolled my eyes.

"Draggin' me down to your nerd depths." We walked up the stairs towards the school entrance. "I'm a nerd by association. I've been scarlet nerded by you."

2

"As you all know, there indeed was a body found in the woods late night," Mr. Huffman said, writing something on the chalkboard. I looked back at Stiles. He smirked at me and winked.

Mr. Huffman continued, "And I'm sure your eager little minds are coming up with various macabre scenarios as to what happened. But I am here to tell you that the police have a suspect in custody-" I looked back at Stiles again. He shrugged his shoulders. "-which means you can give your undivided attention to the syllabus which is on your desk outlining this semester."

I picked up the paper sitting on my desk. I jumped, startled, when I heard a phone ring. I looked around the classroom, confused. Does anyone hear that? "Mom, three calls on my first day is a little overdoing it." I looked out the window and saw a girl with long dark hair sitting on a bench, digging through her bag. "Everything except a pen. Oh, my God, I didn't actually forget a pen. Okay, okay. I gotta go. Love ya." She hung up and put her phone in her bag. Our principal walked up to her. She stood and they started walking into the building.