Chapter Twelve: King

"Your Majesty!"

Just that shout caused all of them to bow their heads, paying respect to their king. Some even went far and beyond as to kneel in front of him. Well, who wouldn't respect this king who have done so much to them and to the country. It was only proper for them to act this way.

Seeing this, the king only laugh and waved his hand, dismissing them.

"It's okay, i'm only here to watch."

All of them sighed in relief but still remained respectful seeing as their king is watching the whole ordeal.

When Serenity saw the king's face, she was not the least bit surprised. It was only acceptable that whoever the four princes inherited their good genes must also be blessed as well.

Beautiful wavy golden hair that went slightly below his shoulders and bluish green eyes that resembles emeralds. His sharp features made him look more strict and domineering, though it'll look much softer when he smiles, it still did not diminish the regal aura around him.

"I'm sorry for eavesdropping but I was wondering who is the winner of the challenge?" The king, Adam Valiant, asked curiously as he looked at both of the paintings, "Both looked nice but this one stands out." He said while pointing towards Serenity's painting.

As if on cue, both the judges and the crowd turned to look at Serenity, causing the king to look as well. Recognition and amazement flashed in the king's eyes but it was gone so quickly that it made Serenity have second thoughts if she really did saw it.

"What's her name?" The king asked and the one who answered was his son, the second prince.

"Her name is Serenity Merle, father."

"Hm," The king murmured, a hint of amusement in his voice, "Your name sounds familiar."

Serenity only let out a strained laugh, "This humble one's name must be common."

"Hm. Really?" The king teasingly asked while oberving Serenity's reaction, "I remember a person who possess a similar name such as yours."

Serenity sweatdropped when she heard the heated discussion among the crowd. It only took a few sentences from the king for the crowd to already notice something suspicious. Give or take a few minutes and the people here will soon figure out her identity.

With the risk of having her identity exposed, Serenity immediately turned to Lindsey and blurted out, "I will honor our bet. I'm going to back out from this exam." Left with no other choice, Serenity tried to change the topic.

This stunned Lindsey as she first thought that Serenity would never admit that she lost. Lindsey just didn't put in consideration that although Serenity is prideful and values her dignity, she isn't a sore loser like her.

Hearing this, the king noticed that something is not right with situation and said, "Miss Merle, please follow me. I want to talk to you about something."

Serenity wanted to decline at first, but noticing the crowd's gaze, she conceded. Stepping out of the hall, Serenity silently followed the king to his office, meeting a few officials and knights standing guard along the way.

After the door closed with a soft 'thud' Serenity then focused her gaze to the man in front of her. Sitting behind a desk which has a beautiful carving of a lion, the animal that represents the royal family, Adam Valiant look so much of a proud king with his legs crossed and stern face.

"No need to be stiff. I already know that it's you Aryn despite your disguise"

Hearing her childhood nickname and having been exposed so easily, Serenity looked at the king grinning cheekily at her, "How did you know my nickname?"