Intro

You got home after a busy day at school. Being in the final year of high school was no joke, on top of that you were thinking about getting a job, having just turned nineteen. The decision had been on a whimsical. It wasn't like you were in a financial crisis or something like that but there was something so alluring about making your own money, maybe it was the independence that came with it.

Back then the notion of independence was almost romantic. Little had you known how costly it truly was. How much sacrifice it required. But then again, you wouldn't have it any other way. Even now after all the struggle you went through on a daily basis, you would rather die than go back to the hell hole you escaped from. But that had been a different time, a somewhat simpler time. Back then you had believed the lies you were fed, and lived a life of ignorant bliss. Oh how harsh the reality had been when you finally got your wake up call.

You had waltz right in, thinking it would be another day of a semi empty house. Yes! you had a big home and yes! A lot of people were in it but it was also empty. Your family was barely ever there, a father too busy with his job and a mother long gone to the other side. You barely ever saw your dad and when you did there was a lack of warmth and connection. You had expected to be greeted by your maid and whichever guard was on shift like usual but instead the sight of your fathers stoic face greeted you.

Shocked, you immediately went into a default mode that surfaced whenever your father visited or stayed. You bowed in respect and the usual "good afternoon father."

Your father was not one for niceties nor for idle chit chat. He did not appreciate being called dad or papa or anything that would suggest comfort and familiarity. He liked keeping things curt and to the point. Just like the relationship between the two of you.

The truth was that to the world, you did not even exist. Park Hwanjin had no child, no heir and no successor. He was a widowed business tycoon and that was all. That was more or less the truth, he didn't feel like a father to you.

You were just about to head up to your room, in hopes of escaping further discomfort when your father spoke.

"I would like you to meet an important client of mine in afew months or so for a deal. It is important, which is as to why I'm informing you beforehand. You shall be graduated by then I believe." It was more of a statement then a question but you found yourself nodding out of habit.

"You are to be well prepared by then and I expect proper behaviour and diligence from you, till then Miss Clair shall give you lessons on etiquette and poise. Is that clear?"

Although absolutely perplexed, experience had taught you better than to question. You quickly responded

"Yes father."

"Good! You may leave." He dismissed you with a flick of his hand.

By now you were used to such disdain but the pang you always felt at such moments never seemed to fade or lessen. It was always there, a hole in your heart. You go upstairs, a feeling of dread settling in the pit of your stomach. Something told you this meeting would not end well.

That evening when you went down for dinner, your father was gone. The maids informing you on how he had left an hour or so after your arrival. He had set a schedule for you though. One that had the lessons he had mentioned in it.

You had went along with it, still managing to find a job at cafe that offered you an afternoon shift, just after your school ended. You got paid weekly and although it wasn't much it was your own. You began saving it up rather than spending it aimlessly. This was your money, earned with hard work. The lessons were a drag but you pushed through.

Something at the back of your mind was blinking, a premonition of sorts perhaps. You could tell something big was about to happen. The dinner would be a turning point. You knew it. You just didn't know how or what the changes would be. This had led into a constant state of unrest, you were on edge. So much so that your head maid, who had at this point raised you, suggested taking up a sport or something similar to blow if steam.

And so had your kickboxing training started. This has been kept a secret from your father, seeing as he was unlikely to approve but you enjoyed it. It made you feel strong and somewhat prepared. It gave you sense of security. It was true that your days had begun to go by in a haze with school, a part time job, the lessons and now kickboxing but you persevered. Refusing to give up, this was the first time you were too busy to be lonely, and as such you actually welcomed the change.

Looking back at it now, perhaps this was a kindness that the universe seemed to have bestowed upon you. The circumstances, the situation and your dealing was perhaps a preparation for what you were facing now. It was too big of a coincidence  otherwise. Whatever the reason, you were grateful for the few short months or you would likely be dead or in a situation far worse.