Chapter 2

PoV: 3rd Person

  A young fox worked at a speed he could only hope was quick enough. His best friend was trapped in the fight to the death, and was lossing horribly.

"I got it!" The fox shouted.

---

"Shadow..." Sonic's breath was weak, his body no longer able to move. Blood dripping from his mouth from the pierced lung he had, "... please... think this through..."

"I have," Shadow clenched his hand around Sonic's throat, chocking the azure hedgehog.

"Shadow!" Tails flee over the scene, holding the yellow bottle of pills, "You can't go on without these right?!"

  Shadow glared at the fox as he dropped Sonic. An ambulance was quickly called to the scene and predicted to arrive soon.

"You want these," Tails three the bottle, "Take em!"

  Shadow caught the bottle without a second thought. The effect of the first pill was already wearing off, he opened the bottle and took another pill to kill Sonic with more ease. Amy swung her hammer at Shadow, he blocked it with no hesitation.

  The pill he had take was identical to the other, only this on had a line indent through the center. This pill caused an opposite effect to the other. It didn't effect. Shadow's strength but rather his aggression. This pill eased his anger and intent to kill instead, it reversed it. Shadows moments of attack and dodging Sonic's team cause adrenaline to flow, making him digest the pill faster. The pill was already entering his blood stream, slowly making its way to the hedgehog a brain.

  Shadow knocked Sonic's teammates back, non of them as injured as their blue leader. Shadow grabbed Sonic by the neck and allow another spear to await it's attack in his hand. He aimed  the spear right at Sonic's temple. His arm stretched back and-

... he stopped....

"Game over Shadow!" Amy growled and they surrounded him. The disorienting noise of the ambulance in the back ground.

"Not yet," Shadow dropped Sonic and disappeared. His heart beating with Sonic's life in mind, not to end it... but to keep it alive.

"Is he going to be okay?" Tails asked as parametrics moved Sonic onto a stretcher.

"We're not sure. Just be need to take him into surgery now," they allowed Tails to sit in the truck as they took Sonic to the nearest hospital.

  The moment they arrived Sonic was taken to the operation room, Tails waited for him outside. Not sure what was happening to Sonic.

---

  Shadow, he found it difficult to just leave, he reappeared over the hospital Sonic was in, he remained there for a long time.

PoV: Tails

  If felt like hours passed before the operation room light turned off. A surgeon emerged from it.

"How is he?" I asked, standing up so quick I nearly lost my balance.

"He's going just fine, he's stable. It's going to take about 8 weeks for his lung to heal, don't let him do anythi g dangerous."

"Oh thank chaos," I had never felt so relieved, "Can I see him?"

"We're currently taking him to the X-ray room. We need to see where else he has fractures and breaks in his bones that could be potentially dangerous," he said, "Many have died from a shattered pink because the pieces get into the blood stream. We need to make sure that isn't the case."

"Please, make sure he lives. He's all I have," I begged him.

"We'll do all we can," he walked away.

  The sun was rising when they said I could see him. I wanted to run to his side. Sonic was asleep when I got to him. An oxygen mask kept him breathing. His right hand had a cast and his left was in a sling. His chest had bandages over it. He was so beat up, all because of Shadow and the little pill. I replaced the pills with an antidote, it'll be fine now. Shadow won't attack you again.

"He's in for a long recovery. His lung will take 8 weeks. Two months for his ribs, six weeks for his wrist, and sixteen weeks for his shoulder. You're very lucky, the breaks are all clean," he said, "We can keep him in the hospital until he can move on his own. For now, let him sleep. The chair there extends into a bed if you wish to stay by his side."

"I will," I sat down next to Sonic as he slept, "Sonic, I took care of Shadow for now. He won't hurt you again."

PoV: Shadow

  What is this? I couldn't bring myself to leave the hospital. I looked through all the windows, I found Sonic asleep with Tails. Seeing that, it gave me a bizzar feeling, some thing familiar that I couldn't recognize. The feeling suddenly vanished. I was back to my usual self, the pills had worn off.

  I left back to my cave in the woods, "These pills... what was that emotion?"

  I took another out and examined it, these weren't the ones Eggman gave me before. If I take it again... with the emotion return? What did it do, it stopped me from killing Sonic.

"This is for research alone, nothing more than curiosity."

I took a pill into my mouth

...and swallowed.

~~~