48. Fighter

"Absolutely not." Harry said flatly, "I can't."

"You literally just said that I would be too weak, and I can't stay here." I shrugged. "I can't see any other option."

"That's the problem." He sighed, pacing up and down. "I couldn't make you into one of us. You always have this insatiable hunger you can never control, your emotions are everywhere, and you can't be killed easily."

"That last one didn't sound so bad." I said, but Harry just laughed dryly,

"You can't die, even when you're in so much pain, you should die. You want to die. But you can't." He looked out the window again, his brow creasing as he scanned over the people moving around outside.

"But you can heal, I thought?" I raised an eyebrow in confusion.

"Yes, but it takes a lot of energy. Sometimes, you haven't got the energy, and have to sit there, feeling like shit."

"I still want you to turn me."

"I couldn't bring myself to do it. You don't realise how painful the process is." He started looking over at me again. "Firstly, I have to suck all of the blood out of you until you're an inch away from death, then I have to kill you, by injecting venom. When you wake up, you have an excruciating pain in your neck and you're going to want to kill the first thing you see, kind of like how me and the boys were back at the castle, since you won't have any blood in your system."

I sat still, contemplating everything he had said, thinking about the consequences as well as advantages of having an eternal life. If I don't live forever, I'll grow old, whilst Harry won't, which made it seem like an obvious choice.

When I suddenly looked up again, snapping out of my deep thought, Harry was staring at me carefully, his eyes swirling with a purple and red cyclone. I always found it interesting how I could read his emotions through his eyes, but that would be another thing. I've never liked anyone being able to read my emotions, I felt too exposed. So that's why I never liked Harry reading my thoughts before, even though since then he has stopped doing it so much, or at least he didn't tell me when he was doing it.

"I still want to be with you." I whispered,

"I want you to be with me too." He smiled, "But I can't do it."

He went quiet, thinking deeply as he closed his eyes and took a few deep breaths as I watched him intently. He slowly looked back up, sighing.

"Are you sure?" He asked me, walking over and lifting me up by my waist.

"I'm sure." I told him firmly, trying to not let my worry show through, but of course, he can read minds.

"Ok." He nodded, "We'll do it."

He came towards me and kissed my firmly, moving his hands to my thighs, indicating for me to jump, which I did. Usually I would be nervous that he would think I was heavy, but he could lift things a lot heavier than me.

He walked to the wall as he continued kissing me, using the wall to help support me. He moved down towards my neck, nipping at my neck gently, not enough to draw any blood. I moved my fingers through his hair, fisting particular parts, which he groaned in appreciation to. His chest began heaving faster, and the grip he had on my thighs became nearly painful.

"Harry..." I tried to say warningly, but it didn't sound very convincing.

He groaned, slipping his hand behind my back as he moved back and went towards the bed, all without moving his lips from my neck or jaw. He almost threw me down, his vampiric side clearly showing through over his normal, controlled side. His hips lightly pressed mine down, holding me down to the bed without using his hands.

"Harry." I breathed, "Focus."

Even though I didn't want him to stop, he needed to get this over with so I'll be ready to fight for when the Angels come.

"Sorry." He laughed breathily, "I just feel like I should make it up to you before I bite you."

"I want to." I reassured him, running my fingers through his hair and lightly massaging his head, which he leant his head into and closed his eyes.

"Ok." He nodded, still not opening his eyes.

He slowly opened his eyes, leaning back down again, sucking at one particular spot on my neck.

He found my hands, interlocking his fingers in mine, gripped tightly before he bit down. I felt the familiar feeling of the warmth draining from my body. I sighed, trying to relax as Harry pressed harder into my neck. Then I began to feel dizzy, my eyes fluttering shut hazily.

Unlike before, I felt something being injected in, rather than being taken out. It began to sting and fizz, and Harry seemed to feel my discomfort, and squeezed my hands reassuringly. The pain suddenly peaked, making me wince; before I became so tired I had to close my eyes. The pain slowly faded away, and the sound around me slowly dulled to a muffle.

---

I woke up with a raging thirst, my eyes shooting open and sitting up much faster than usual. I held my head as it fizzed with the sound of blood boomed through my ears, and my neck also hurt like hell. I felt over the two puncture wounds on my neck with one hand, whilst I supported myself with my other hand on the soft sheets. Suddenly, a fruity smell drifted into my nose.

I snapped my head to the right, seeing a cup of something red on the bedside table, which I dived for. I grabbed it as fast as I could and started gulping it down wildly. I put the glass back down a bit too aggressively, and ended up smashing it against the table, but I didn't care.

I flicked my eyes to the door when I heard it creak open, revealing a tall man in a blue T-shirt and jeans. I squinted my eyes and hissed at the intruder. Wait, hissed?

I lunged at him, but he moved out of the way faster than I could reach him, and ended up crashing into the door.

"Kate." He spoke calmly, but I only bared my teeth and hissed in response. "Relax."

I ran for him again, snapping and snarling as he ran towards me as well, knocking me to the floor, and holding my wrists down. He extended his fangs and growled at me as his eyes turned red.

I suddenly calmed down, the anger I felt was replaced with fear, and I tried to move my head away from him.

"Baby it's me." I heard a soothing voice from above, making me turn my head again.

His fangs had retracted back into his head, his emerald green eyes returning as a friendly smile graced his face. It was then I recognised the man in front of me.

"Harry?" I smiled happily.

He nodded, pulling me up from the floor into a hug, as I wrapped my arms around him tightly. He started laughing, but then started choking, making me release my grip slightly.

"Well, you've definitely gotten stronger." He laughed, sitting back and rubbing his back. "You'll make a great vampire."

I had forgotten until now why I felt the way I did. The blood lust, the thundering headache, the aggressiveness.

I was a vampire.

~*~