Chapter 14: Trouble Sleeping

*Luke's P.O.V.*

It wasn't long after she stuck her headphones on for her to fall asleep, and Zack followed in persuade. Jenna sat in a chair next to the bed and I on the other side of the bed. I didn't let go of her hand once. Jenna moved her backpack to the floor.

"Thank you," I'm stirred from my thoughts when Jenna speaks, "for keeping my baby safe." She smiled slightly.

"It was no problem at all, but Ms. Taylor can I ask you a question?" I asked with curiosity in my voice.

"Anything dear," she stared at her kids with love.

"Why does Ashley sleep with music and only music?" I tried not to be rude or sound rude.

"Well dear," she sighed gently, "Ashley has a lot of bad history behind her. She has learned to cope with her problems on her own and to restrict including someone in them. You have most likely noticed, she doesn't really ask for help or included a lot of people in her life. The orphanage we found her at went up in flames the night before we adopted her and so that was a lot of damage to her, she lost her best friend in that fire. We don't know how she came to the orphanage because her record burned. She was the only person who survived other than one other. The other person died three days later, and Ashley doesn't like talking about it. Also it's why she flinches at the words burn, fire, and ash. I am sorry hon I'm rabbling ain't I?" Jenna wavorored her voice.

"It's no problem at all Ms. Taylor I wish she would open up to me more." I say putting my head down.

"I never really answered your question did I? She learned to cope through music. Hon I think you will be able to get past her wall, she has trust issues you know, but you've already gained her trust." Jenna chuckles.

"I'm going to go get some coffee do you want any?" Jenna asks as she rises from her chair.

"Sure, thank you," I say as she walks out. Ashley sirs a little in her sleep knocking a strand of her burgundy curly hair. I reached down with my other hand and tucked the strand to the side.

"Why did you lie?" I asked her sleeping form but just like expected she didn't answer. I laid my head next to her arm on the bed and closed my eyes.

~~~

"Lucas, Lucas," I felt someone gently shaking me.

"Mhm," was all I could get out before I yawned.

"Lucas, are you going to stay the night with Ashley?" Jenna asked.

"Yeah why?" I asked kindly.

"I can't stay tonight so if you weren't sure I was going to ask you because Zack has school in the morning." She walked over to her son who was rubbing his eyes and yawning.

"Mommy can I say night to Ash-wee?" Zack yawned.

"Hug her but tried not to wake her dear, thank you so much Lucas." Jenna said as she picked Zack up who immediately fell asleep in her arms.

"No problem ma'am I was planning on staying anyway, good night." Jenna grabbed her things.

"Night hon I will come back tomorrow as soon as I can." Jenna opened the door.

"That's fine ma'am," Jenna walked out the door after hearing me and smiling at me.

"Mhm," I looked down to see Ashley turned over to my side. I sit on the bed next to her as she sleeps. She is peaceful in dreams where she doesn't have the hurt in her eyes. Eyes never lie, they always tell the truth even when we don't want them to. Her violet eyes have always shown me hurt, lost, and pain, even when she laughed her eyes didn't agree.

She rolled onto her side and knocked her headset off by accident.

"Mhm, no, stop," she muttered in her sleeping form, "no! Stop! NO!" Ashley screamed thrashed making it hard for me to grab her headset. I pulled her gently closer to me, she put her head on my chest and instantly stopped thrashing and screaming. I lent over and grabbed her headset and phone.

"Come here baby," I said gently as I pick her head up and slip the headset on her. Then it hits me, she stopped thrashing when she laid on me. She really is the one, she lays her head on my shoulder while she sleeps.